Train Ticket Fare by Indian Railway
In this post, you will complete details related to Train Fare’s exists with Indian Railways. This including exclusive ✅ Train fare calculator, Train Fare Table Charts for all types of trains ( For Manual fare calculation / Traditional method ). Also providing details for Train ticket fare / Platform ticket fare details by Indian Railway and IRCTC. We are giving details related to Railway Platform Tickets, Train Ticket including AC / Non-AC / Sleeper / General Tickets, and fare details of trains including Rajdhani, Shatabdi, and Duronto etc.
Train Fare calculator – 2023
With the help of the following Train Fare Calculator, you may easily identify the train ticket fare between any Railway stations across India.
If you are not able to view the Train Fare Calculator then please visit Train Fare Calculator 2023.
If you find this useful don’t forget to subscribe to us to get the latest information similar to these. We are also welcoming your valuable comments to improve these processes as well.
IRCTC announced that IRCTC e-ticket Booking Convenience Fee : Rs. 15/- + GST for Non AC Class and Rs. 30/- +GST for AC Class including First Class(FC).
Following are the further details
- Fare of AC Three Tier Economy Class Coaches ~ 19.08.2021
- Fare Structure of Festival/Holiday Specials / Clone Trains ~ Updates
- ✅ Revision of Train Passenger Fares ~ 01.01.2020
- Train Fare Calculator ( IRCTC Help Exclusive )
- Indian Railway Fare Table Complete List
- Mail / Express Trains Fare Table
- AC Classes Mail Express Base Fare
- Rajdhani Trains Fare Table
- Duronto Express Trains Fare Table
- Shatabdi Trains Fare Table
- Discounted fare in Shatabdi Trains ~ From 18.01.2021 to 17.01.2022
- Jan Shatabdi Trains Fare Table
- Garib Rath Train Fare
- Mahamana Express Train Fare
- Tejas Express Train Fare
- Vande Bharat Express Train Fare
- Gatimaan Express Train Fare
- Tejas – Rajdhani Trains Fare ~12.02.2021
- Fare structure of Anubhuti Coach
- Other Charges Applicable on Passenger Fares
- Updated Fare Details of Humsafar Express Trains
- ✅ Indian Railway Suburban Train Fare
- Train Fare General Rules
- Fare of Vista Dome Coaches
- ✅ Tourist Ticket Fare
- Train Fare ~ News Updates
- Rebate in the Basic Fare Discontinued ~ 16.03.2023
- Clarification about Levy of surcharge on Trains run on Diesel Traction ~14.04.2022
- Fare for short-distance trains hiked to discourage unnecessary travel:24.02.2021
- Introduction of Convenience Fee For Online Booking of Train Tickets 01.09.2019
- Nothing New in Train Passenger Fare ~Railway Updates
- Unreserved Tickets For Suburban Trains Only and limited No of Local Passenger Trains
- User Fee in train fares for redeveloped stations with high Footfall
- Government to allow Private Railways to set their own fares
Fare of AC Three Tier Economy Class Coaches ~ 19.08.2021
Fare Structure of Festival/Holiday Specials / Clone Trains ~ 07.12.2020 Updates
Fare Structure of Festival/Holiday Specials / Clone Trains when Humsafar/ Mahamana Rake is utilised
Revision of Train Passenger Fares ~ 01.01.2020
- Ministry of Railways revises the basic passenger fare as per revised passenger fare table published by Indian Railway Conference Association (IRCA), effective from January 1, 2020.
- Ministry of Railways: There shall be no fare hike for passengers over suburban sections and season ticket holders.
Indian Railway announced that Railway has decided a marginal increase in fare only over the non-suburban sections. But there shall be no fare hike for passengers over suburban sections and season ticket holders.
Every for the passengers traveling in Ordinary Non AC Classes, there shall be a marginal increase of 1 paise/PKM (Passenger Kilometer). The increase in fare will be on tickets bought on or after ✅1st January 2020 and no excess fare (difference of fare) will be charged from passengers who have booked tickets before 1st January 2020.
The fare revision is as below.
✅I. Ordinary Non – AC classes: Fare increase by 01 paisa/km
✅ii. Mail/Express Non – AC classes: Fare increase by 02 paisa/km
✅iii. AC classes – Fare increase by 04 paisa/km
✅iv. Suburban fare and Season tickets: No increase
|S.NO.||Class||Increase in Fare per Passenger Kilo Meter (PKM)|
|I||Suburban (Single Journey Fare)||No Change|
|ii||Season Tickets (Suburban & Non - Suburban)||No Change|
|Ordinary Non - AC (Non - Suburban)|
|iii||Second Class Ordinary||01 Paise|
|iv||Sleeper Class Ordinary||01 Paise|
|v||First Class Ordinary||01 Paise|
|Mail/Express Non - AC|
|vi||Second Class (Mail/Express)||02 Paise|
|vii||Sleeper Class (Mail/Express)||02 Paise|
|viii||First Class (Mail/Express)||02 Paise|
|ix||AC Chair Car||04 Paise|
|x||AC 3 - Tier/3E||04 Paise|
|xi||AC 2-Tier||04 Paise|
|xii||AC First Class/EC/EA||04 Paise|
- Existing fares of train services like ✅ Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Duronto, Vande Bharat, Tejas, Humsafar, Mahamana, Gatiman, Antyodaya, Garib Rath, Jan Shatabdi, Rajya Rani, Yuva Expresses, Suvidha and special trains on special charges, AC MEMU (non-suburban), AC DEMU (non-suburban) etc shall similarly be revised to the extent of the above proposed increase in class-wise fares as per notified fare table.
- Other Charges : There shall be ✅ no change in charges for reservation fee, super fast surcharge etc. Such charges, wherever applicable, shall continue to be levied additionally.
- ✅ GST as applicable shall be levied, as per instruction issued from time to time.
- Rounding off of fares shall be done as per existing principle.
Indian Railway Fare Table Complete List
The following list shows the Indian Railways Fare table / Fare chart from the official announcement (Available at a Trains at Glance). All the indicative of Base Fares only. Here you can calculate the fare manually based upon the corresponding Kilometers specified on the table.
More types of trains fares are on the way to make this post bookmark or revisit after some time.
Ordinary Trains Base Fare Table
Mail / Express Trains Base Fare Table
Mail or Express Trains Fare Table for is as follows.
AC Classes Mail Express Base Fare
Rajdhani / Duronto Express Trains Fare Table
Rajdhani or Duronto Express Trains Fare Table. Please note all the fares are showed as Base fare only.
Fare Structure for Non-AC Chair Car of Duronto Trains for Distance beyond 1000kms
Yuva Train AC Chair Car Revised Base Fare
Jan Shatabdi Trains Fare Table
Garib Rath Train Fare
Mahamana Express Train Fare
Duronto, Shatabdi, Tejas, Vande Bharat and Gatimaan Revised Base Fare
Shatabdi / Duronto Trains Fare Table
Discounted fare in Shatabdi Trains ~ From 18.01.2021 to 17.01.2022
Note: The above fares are exclusive of Reservation fee, Supplementary Charge for Super fast trains, Catering Charge and Service Tax etc. which will be levied additionally. Base Fare of Anubhuti is equivalent to base fare of Executive Class.
Tejas – Rajdhani Trains Fare
The fare structure and other details of Tejas Rajdhani services are here:-
Ministry of Railways announced that Railway has deiced to introduce Tejas-Rajdhani type service with upgraded facilities between Anand Vihar and Agartala by replacing the rake of 20501/20502 Anand Vihar – Agartala Rajdhani Express. Further details are attached. Tejas – Rajdhani Trains : Fare and Details
Fare structure of Anubhuti Coach
Ministry of Railways has decided to introduce Anubhuti coach with additional features like improved interiors, amenities and facilities, ergonomically designed seat, improved modular toilets with hand-free taps, automatic IC sliding doors, overhead reading light for individual seat, GPS based passenger system, diffused LED lighting, special exterior painting with anti-graffitti coating, higher speed potential etc,. The fare structure of Anubhuti Coach Indian Railway published through a press release, following are the details. Child Fare Rule in Trains
- Anubhuti coach shall be attached in Shatabdi trains as additional Executive Class where there is only one EC Coach and where there is two or more EC coach then one of existing executive class coach may be replaced by Anubhuti coach. The fare of Anubhuti coach attached in Shatabdi trains shall be 1.2 times of executive class fare of Shatabdi trains.
- In exceptional cases where Anubhuti coach is to be attached in Gatimaan Express and Tejas Express as replacement of existing Executive class and then fare shall be same as that of Executive class coaches of respective mentioned trains.
- Other charges like reservation fee, super fast surcharge, Goods and service tax etc., as applicable shall be levied separately.
- Normal Child fare rules will apply. No concessional tickets and tickets against Free complimentary passes which are not fully reimbursed shall be admissible in this coach.
- Booking of tickets against Passes issued to Member of Parliaments and Rail travel coupons (RTCs) issued to MLA/NALGs-shall be permissible as they are fully reimbursed.
- The eligibility of Privilege pass/PTO for Railway employees shall be on par with eligibility in the respective class of trains in which such coaches are attached etc.,.
- Full fare Defence warrants shall be allowed for exchange as per the actual fare. 3.0 Vacant berths left at the time of first charting would be offered for current booking. Tickets under current booking shall be sold at the last price sold for that class with 10% discount on last price and other supplementary charges like reservation fee, super fast charges, Goods and service tax etc., as applicable shall be levied in full.
Other Charges Applicable on Passenger Fares
|Class||Minimum Distance for Charge (Kms)||Basic Fare at Minimum Distance (Rs)||Reservation Fee (Rs)||Supplementary Charge for Super Fast Trains (Rs)|
|AC Chair Car||150||211||40||45|
|AC Economy (Duronto)||300||440||40||45|
|AC 2-Tier (Peak Period)||300||625||50||45|
|AC 2-Tier (Lean Period)||300||605||50||45|
|AC First Class (Peak Period)||300||1059||60||75|
|AC First Class (Lean Period)||300||998||60||75|
|Second Class (Suburban)||10||4||15||–|
|Second Class (Non-Suburban)||10||3||15||–|
|Second Class MST||10||100||–||–|
|First Class MST||10||325||–||–|
|Second Class QST||10||270||–||–|
|First Class QST||10||880||–||–|
Indian Railway Suburban Train Fare
Details of Indian Railway Suburban Train Fare are here:-
Rationalization of Fare of AC ordinary services running over Suburban Sections
Indian Railway announced via press release on 29.04.2022 that Rationalization of fare of AC ordinary services running over Suburban Sections, details are attached.
|SUB URBAN FARE EFFECTIVE FROM 7-Oct-2013|
|DISTANCE (KMS)||II CLASS||I CLASS|
|II CLASS||Monthly Season- MST||Quarterly Season -QST||1 CLASS||Monthly Season -MST||Quarterly Season -QST|
|ADULT||CHILD||ADULT||CHILD||SC/ST STUDENT||ADULT||CHILD||SC/ST STUDENT||ADULT||CHILD||ADULT||CHILD||SC/ST STUDEN T||ADULT||CHILD||SC/ST STUDEN T|
|EXPLANATORY NOTES APPLICABLE TO MUMBAI SUBURBAN LOCAL TRAINS ONLY|
|MUTP SURCHARGE 1- 10 KM(Apply to All Mumbai Suburban Trains )||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL||NIL|
|MUTP SURCHARGE 11- 50 KM (Apply to all Mumbai Suburban Trains)||3||3||30||30||30||90||90||90||6||6||60||60||60||180||180||180|
|MUTP SURCHARGE 51- 100 KM (Apply to all Mumbai Suburban Trains)||3||3||45||45||45||135||135||135||6||6||90||90||90||270||270||270|
|MUTP SURCHARGE 101-150 KM or exceed (Apply to all Mumbai Suburban Trains)||3||3||60||60||60||180||180||180||6||6||120||120||120||360||360||360|
|CIDCO SURCHARGE on all passengers travelling across Thane Creek from/to all stations beyond Sanpada upto Ghansoli i. e Turbhe/Koparkhairana and Ghansoli||2||2||50||50||50||150||150||150||4||4||125||125||125||375||375||375|
|Surcharge on all passengers travelling across Thane Creek from/to all stations beyond Ghansoli upto Thane or from/to beyond Thane i.e Rabada/Airavalli/Thane or from /to beyond Thane towards Ghatgopar/Kalyan etc.||3||3||67||67||67||201||201||201||5||5||167||167||167||501||501||501|
|Surcharge on all passengers travelling across Kalwa Creek from/to all stations between Airavalli to Turbhe i.e.Airavalli, Rabada,Ghansoli, Koparkhairana &Turbhe||2||2||50||50||50||150||150||150||4||4||125||125||125||375||375||375|
|Surcharge on all passengers travelling across Kalwa Creek From/To All stations between Turbhe to Kharghar that is sanpada, Vashi, Juinagar, Nerul, Seawood Darave, Belapur C.B.D., Kharghar.||3||3||67||67||67||201||201||201||5||5||167||167||167||501||501||501|
|Surcharge on all passengers travelling across Kalwa creek from/to all stations between kharghar to Panvel that is Mansarvoar- khandeshwar/panvel or From /To Beyond panvel.||4||4||80||80||80||240||240||240||6||6||200||200||200||600||600||600|
|surcharge on all Passengers Travelling From/To Any station in Navi Mumbai between Airavali-Turbhe-sanpada- Vashi-Panvel stations or From/To beyond Panvel Up to Vashi/Airavali stations (Without Crossing Thane or Kalwa Creek Bridges)||1||1||17||17||17||51||51||51||2||2||42||42||42||126||126||126|
|Surcharge on all Passengers Travelling across Thane Creek from/to all stations between Vashi and Belapur C.B.D. (Inclusive)||2||2||50||50||50||150||150||150||4||4||125||125||125||375||375||375|
|Surcharge on all Passengers Travelling across Thane Creek From/To all stations Between Belapur C.B.D. (Exclusive) and Panvel or From/To beyond Panvel||3||3||67||67||67||201||201||201||5||5||167||167||167||501||501||501|
|VENDORS CHARGES 1 TO 40 KMS||70|
|VENDORS CHARGES 41 TO 80 KMS||120|
|VENDORS CHARGES 81 TO 120 KMS||165|
|TOURIST TICKET 1 DAY ( Mumbai suburban Train only)||75||40||260||130|
|TOURIST TICKET 3 DAY ( Mumbai suburban Train only)||115||60||420||210|
|TOURIST TICKET 5 DAY (Mumbai suburban Train only)||135||70||490||245|
Fare Structure of AC EMU/DEMU/MEMU RAKES/Coaches
Ministry of Railway published a circular dt 06.11.2019 regarding the fare structure of AC EMU/DEMU/MEMU Rakes/Coaches, details are following. Fare of AC coaches in mixed AC cum non-AC coaches/rakes shall be kept at par with that of AC EMU/DEMU/MEMU services I.e 1.3 times of base fare of single journey tickets of first class.
Mumbai AC Local Train Fare
Mumbai AC Locals maiden trip to start from Andheri. 2.10 pm local to run to Churchgate on December 25th, 2017.
- 12 Services will run every Weekday.
- 8 Services will run as fast locals between Churchgate and Virar stopping at Mumbai Central, Dadar, Bandra, Andheri, Borivali, Bhayander and Vasai.
- 3 Services will run between Churchgate and Borivali and will be connected to a slow train between Mahalaxmi and Borivali station.
- The 1st and 12th coach from Churchgate end are earmarked as ladies coaches.
- 7 seats in the second and eleventh coach will be earmarked for senior citizens.
- 10 seats in forth and seventh coaches have been earmarked for Divyangs.
Fare Structure for AC local train
The fare structure of AC EMU service shall be as under
The base fare of the single journey of AC EMU shall be 1.3 times the base fare of the existing fare of a single journey ticket for first class. However, as an introductory offer for a period of initial six months, the base fare of a single journey of AC EMU shall be charged 1.2 times the base fare of the existing fare of a single journey ticket of first class. The difference between 1.3 times and 1.2 times will be shown in the ticket as a discount during the introductory period.
Season tickets:- Weekly, Fortnightly, and monthly season tickets shall be charged equivalent to 5, 7.5, and 10 single journeys of AC EMU respectively. No other type of season tickets shall be issued for the time being.
AC EMU ticket holders shall also be allowed to travel by first-class compartments of local trains.
Other Supplementary charges:- MUTP surcharge ‘or any other charges if applicable shall be levied separately as per applicable rate for first-class coach,
Goods and Service Tax (GST) @ 5% shall be levied on the total fare as per the existing principle.
- AC EMU ticket holder shall also be allowed to travel by first class compartment of local trains-.
- Announcement shall be made as more trains are introduced, the regular fare shall be 1.3 times of the basic fare of First class single journey tickets and other applicable supplementary charges.
- All other terms and conditions for issue of journey tickets/season tickets shall be same.
- The details of fare charges of AC local train are displayed as under :-
Comparison of 1st Class and AC Local Fare in ₹ ( Base fare * 1.2 times for 1st 6 months)
|Train [Name]||[SRC-DSTN]||Type||Start Time|
|01028 PVR-DR SPL||PANDHARPUR (PVR) - DADAR (DR)||MSPC||2021-09-28 21:40:00|
|01041 DR-SNSI VIA DDCC||DADAR (DR) - SAINAGAR SIRIDI (SNSI)||MSPC||2021-09-28 23:55:00|
|01074 PBH-LTT EXPRESS||PARTAPGARH JN (PBH) - LOKMANYATILAK (LTT)||MSPC||2021-09-28 01:50:00|
|01132 SAINAGAR DR SPL||SAINAGAR SIRIDI (SNSI) - DADAR (DR)||MSPC||2021-09-28 22:25:00|
|01157 HUTATMA EXPRESS||PUNE JN (PUNE) - SOLAPUR JN (SUR)||MSPC||2021-09-28 18:10:00|
|01158 HUTATMA EXPRESS||SOLAPUR JN (SUR) - PUNE JN (PUNE)||MSPC||2021-09-28 06:30:00|
|01433 LNN-PLLD DMU SPL||LONAND (LNN) - PHALTAN (PLLD)||PSPC||2021-09-28 15:00:00|
|01434 PLLD-LNN DMU SPL||PHALTAN (PLLD) - LONAND (LNN)||PSPC||2021-09-28 11:00:00|
|01435 PUNE-PLLD DMU SPL||PUNE JN (PUNE) - PHALTAN (PLLD)||PSPC||2021-09-28 05:50:00|
|01436 PLLD-PUNE DMU SPL||PHALTAN (PLLD) - PUNE JN (PUNE)||PSPC||2021-09-28 18:00:00|
|01651 MML-SGRL INTERCITY EXP||JABALPUR (JBP) - SINGRAULI (SGRL)||MSPC||2021-09-28 15:15:00|
|01652 SGRL-MML INTERCITY EXP||SINGRAULI (SGRL) - JABALPUR (JBP)||MSPC||2021-09-28 04:40:00|
|01803 JHS LJN INT EXP SPL||JHANSI JN (JHS) - LUCKNOWJN (LJN)||MSPC||2021-09-28 06:15:00|
|01804 LJN JHS INT SPL EXP||LUCKNOWJN (LJN) - JHANSI JN (JHS)||MSPC||2021-09-28 16:40:00|
|01813 JHS-CNB UR EXP SPL||JHANSI JN (JHS) - KANPUR CENTRAL (CNB)||PSPC||2021-09-28 08:50:00|
|01814 CNB-JHS UR EXP SPL||KANPUR CENTRAL (CNB) - JHANSI JN (JHS)||PSPC||2021-09-28 07:05:00|
|02144 SLN LTT SF EXP||SULTANPUR (SLN) - LOKMANYATILAK (LTT)||MSPC||2021-09-28 04:05:00|
|02202 PURI SDAH SPL||PURI (PURI) - SEALDAH (SDAH)||MSPC||2021-09-28 19:20:00|
|02211 SRC PURULIA MSPC||SANTRAGACHI JN (SRC) - PURULIA JN (PRR)||MSPC||2021-09-28 06:25:00|
|02212 PURULIA HWH RUPASHI BANGL||PURULIA JN (PRR) - HOWRAH JN (HWH)||MSPC||2021-09-28 15:40:00|
|02273 CAF-JBP SF SPL||CHANDA FORT (CAF) - JABALPUR (JBP)||MSPC||2021-09-28 14:50:00|
|02274 JBP-CAF SPL||JABALPUR (JBP) - CHANDA FORT (CAF)||MSPC||2021-09-28 05:15:00|
|02484 GIMB - JU SF SPL||GANDHIDHAM BG (GIMB) - JODHPUR JN (JU)||MSPC||2021-09-28 22:00:00|
|02597 GKP-CSMT-ANTODAYA EXPRESS||GORAKHPUR (GKP) - C SHIVAJI MAHARAJ T (CSMT)||HSP||2021-09-28 08:30:00|
|03020 KGM HWH FESTIVAL SPL||KATHGODAM (KGM) - HOWRAH JN (HWH)||HSP||2021-09-28 21:50:00|
|03032 MLDT -AZ PASSENGER||MALDA TOWN (MLDT) - AZIMGANJ JN (AZ)||PSPC||2021-09-28 07:15:00|
|03037 SBG-BGP SPL||SAHIBGANJ JN (SBG) - BHAGALPUR (BGP)||PSPC||2021-09-28 08:45:00|
|03038 BGP-SBG SPL||BHAGALPUR (BGP) - SAHIBGANJ JN (SBG)||PSPC||2021-09-28 11:40:00|
|03047 HWH RPH FAST PGR.SPL||HOWRAH JN (HWH) - RAMPUR HAT (RPH)||PSPC||2021-09-28 16:35:00|
|03048 RPH HWH FAST PGR.SPL||RAMPUR HAT (RPH) - HOWRAH JN (HWH)||PSPC||2021-09-28 05:10:00|
|03058 NILE-AZ PASS SPL||NIMITITA (NILE) - AZIMGANJ JN (AZ)||PSPC||2021-09-28 18:15:00|
|03060 NILE- KWAE PASS SPL||NIMITITA (NILE) - KATWA JN. (KWAE)||PSPC||2021-09-28 04:35:00|
|03092 SBG-AZ SPL||SAHIBGANJ JN (SBG) - AZIMGANJ JN (AZ)||PSPC||2021-09-28 14:25:00|
|03177 SDAH-JRLE MEMU SPECIAL||SEALDAH (SDAH) - JANGIPUR ROAD (JRLE)||PSPC||2021-09-28 05:35:00|
|03178 JRLE-SDAH MEMU SPECIAL||JANGIPUR ROAD (JRLE) - SEALDAH (SDAH)||PSPC||2021-09-28 13:30:00|
For more details about Mumbai AC Suburban Local, please go through the following link:-
Tourist Ticket Fare
Rationalisation of Tourist Ticket Fare in Suburban services over all Indian Railways
Fare of Vista Dome Coaches
Fare Structure of AC Vistadome Coaches ~ 06.09.2021
Fare of Mumbai and Madgaon Janshatabdi Express with Vista Dome Coaches
Central Railway announced the fare of Mumbai and Madgaon Vista Dome Coaches. Following are the details.
- Fare will be equivalent to that of Executive class in Shatabdi Express without Catering charges.
- Reservation Charges, GST and any other charges will be levied in addition to the basic fare.
- There shall be no concession and all passengers will be charged at full fare. Minimum chargeable distance shall be 50 km.
TRAIN FARE GENERAL RULES
Train Fare General Rules with explanatory notes for fares are following.
- The fares will be the same in case of all distance within that distance slab.
- The minimum distance for a charge of 200 km in Sleeper Class will not be applicable in the case of Sleeper Coaches declared as unreserved coaches by Zonal Railways in notified trains and in specified sections. In such cases, actual fares as shown in the concerned column will be levied/charged.
- All fares notified are Base Fares. All other miscellaneous charges like Reservation Fee, Superfast Charge, Catering Charge, GST etc. wherever applicable will be levied additionally.
- Base fares for high-speed trains like Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Duronto, Garib Rath, Jan Shatabdi, Yuva etc, as given in this Coaching Tariff, are also exclusive of Reservation fee, Superfast Charge, Catering Charge, etc. These charges, wherever applicable will be levied additionally.
- Suburban fares shall be levied for journeys performed in the suburban sections only. Non-suburban fares shall apply in case of all other journeys.
Rounding- off of Fares:-
- Fares of all classes except Second Class Ordinary (Suburban). Chargeable Fares, as obtained after adding Miscellaneous Charges like Reservation Fee, Supplementary charge for Superfast trains, Catering Charge, Goods and Service Tax etc. to the Basic Fare, will be rounded off to the next higher multiple of ₹ 5.
- Second Class (Suburban) Fares Chargeable Fares for Second Class Suburban Passengers, as obtained after adding applicable miscellaneous charges like MUTP Fare, is proposed to be rounded off to the next higher multiple of Five Rupees.
- In Peak (1st April – 31st July and 1st September – 31st January) and Lean (1st February – 31st March and 1st August – 31st August) seasons the fares are different.
- In Popular trains, the peak period fares shall be applicable throughout the year in cased of journeys undertaken in AC First and AC 2-Tier Classes.
- The point – to – point fares for all pairs of stations, including intermediate to intermediate stations, in case of Shatabdi, Jan Shatabdi, Rajdhani and Duronto sets of trains shall be notified by the Zonal Railways.
- Children under 5 years of age will be carried free of charge. Child Fare Rule details are here.
- Bed Rolls will be supplied to passengers in AC First Class, AC 2-Tier and AC 3-Tier Classes in all trains, except Garib Rath Express. Bedroll in Train Online Purchase
- Quarterly Season Tickets fares will be 2.7 times the Monthly Season Tickets (MST) fares.
Train Fare ~ News Updates
Rebate in the Basic Fare Discontinued ~ 16.03.2023
IRCTC announced that Rebate in the basic fare on the vacant berths/seats after preparation of first chart in all trains including Rajdhani/Shatabdi/Duronto has been discontinued w.e.f. 16-03-2023.
Introduction of Convenience Fee For Online Booking of Train Tickets
IRCTC announced that Railway decided to the introduction of Convenience Fee for online booking of tickets through IRCTC w.e.f. 01-Sep-2019, details are following.
- Second Sitting (2S) Ticket – Convenience Fee of ₹ 15 + GST
- Sleeper (SL) class tickets – Convenience Fee of ₹ 15 + GST
- For all other classes – Convenience Fee of ₹ 30 + GST
Clarification about Levy of surcharge on Trains run on Diesel Traction ~ 14.04.2022
Fare for short-distance trains hiked to discourage unnecessary travel: Railways
Indian Railway announces via press release on 24.02.2021 that Fare for short-distance trains hiked to discourage unnecessary travel, further details are following.
- Slightly higher fares for short-distance passenger trains done ONLY to discourage people from travel which is not most necessary
- Slightly higher fares only in less than 3 % of total trains running
- Covid is still around and in fact, worsening in some States. Visitors from many States are being subjected to screening in other areas and discouraged to travel
- The little higher price is be seen as a Proactive measure of Railways to prevent crowding in trains and stop covid from spreading.
- Railways already bear the significant loss in every journey by the passenger. Tickets are heavily subsidized
Indian Railway announced that ” Recently there have been some reports in the section of media about the higher price being charged from those traveling in passenger trains over small distances. Railways would like to inform that these slightly higher fares for passengers and other short-distance trains had been introduced to discourage people from avoidable travels and those which are not most necessary. These fares are fixed at an unreserved price of mail/ express trains for the same distance. Covid is still around and in fact, worsening in some States. Visitors from many States are being subjected to screening in other areas and discouraged to travel. The little higher price is be seen as Proactive measure of Railways to prevent crowding in trains and stop Covid from spreading. It may be recalled that Indian Railways had to stop running regular trains due to Covid related nationwide lockdown on March 22nd, 2020 as a measure to counter the spread of Coronavirus. Indian Railways is constantly increasing the number of passengers carrying trains in a graded manner. Full restoration of regular services of passenger trains, to pre Covid times, is to be considered keeping in view a range of factors and operational circumstances. During challenging times of Covid, Indian Railways has operationalized almost 65 % of the Mail/Express trains and over 90 % of suburban services as compared to the pre-lock downtimes.
Total 1250 Mail/Express, 5350 suburban services & more than 326 passenger trains are presently in operation average on a daily basis. Short distance passenger trains running presently constitute less than 3% of total trains. More such trains are in the pipeline in consultation with the State Governments. Such short distance trains require interstate discussions and concurrence of all concerned. Keeping in view the prevailing COVID situation, after the introduction of Mail/Express trains, Railways is gradually operationalizing passenger trains taking all necessary precautions, and making additional efforts. The Health situation of States, and the views of the State Governments, etc need to be taken into account before getting into normal operations. It may be noted that Passenger operations have always been subsidized by railways. Normally, Railways bear a loss on every journey by a passenger. Railways have been running trains in Covid times in the most challenging circumstances. Many trains are being run in spite of low occupancy for the benefit of people. Not only this, Railways has taken special care about those traveling by lowest fare in trains so that even in Covid times they bear the least burden. In all the trains that are being run, besides other classes, the trains have a large number of 2S class coaches which have the lowest fare in the reserved category.40 % of the passengers have traveled in 2S class in much better traveling conditions than pre-Covid, unreserved traveling situations.
With a view to regulate rush at stations and in trains, passenger trains are being charged slightly more fare than pre-Covid times and a close watch is being kept on its patronisation. The situation is being constantly monitored to ensure restoration of services in keeping with the protocols necessary to be followed during Covid times. “
These rates were implemented in five pairs of trains, including 54613 Amritsar-Pathankot and 54616 Pathankot-Amritsar, which started plying from Monday. A ticket from Amritsar to Pathankot now costs Rs 55 which was earlier priced at Rs 25. Similarly, a passenger DMU train ticket between the Jalandhar City railway station and Ferozpur costs Rs 60 now, while it used to cost Rs 30. The fare for short-distance travels is now similar to what passengers used to pay for the unreserved class in long-distance trains on the same route. An official said while for a short distance below 30-40 kms the fare may appear high, but as one book for a longer distance, it becomes much less. The passengers of the long-distance or mail and express trains that are being operated as special services are, however, paying 10 to 30 percent higher fares since the services began post lockdown.
Nothing New in Train Passenger Fare ~ Railway Updates
Indian Railway announced on 14.01.2021 that the reports in a section of media that Railways has been charging extra fares from passengers is misleading and not based on all the facts. Railway further announced that fare for Festival / Holiday special trains has been kept a little higher since 2015. NOTHING NEW is being done this year. In all the trains that are being run, besides other classes, the trains have a large number of 2S class coaches which has the lowest fare in the reserved category. As per the policy, 2S passengers, even in special fare cases are NOT charged more than additional Rs 15 /-.
Unreserved Tickets For Suburban Trains Only and limited No of Local Passenger Trains
South Central Railway announced on 14.12.2020 that few Stories have been published in certain sections of media about the issuance of unreserved tickets. It is informed for the guidance of all that. There has been NO change in policy to run all express trains including festival specials and clone specials as fully reserved train onLY as yet.
Accordingly till, further advice the existing mail express special trains including festival/holiday specials, clone specials which are running on fully reserved basis (as on date) shall be continued as fully reserved only, by issuing reserved tickets for second class coaches and passenger portion of SLRs also.”
Permission given to Zonal Railways to issue unreserved tickets is meant onLY for suburban and limited no of local passenger trains operating on few zones.
Running of trains, norms of travel and reservations are constantly evolving under Covid times. Further changes, as and when they happen, would be informed to all concerned accordingly.
User Fee in train Fares for Redeveloped Stations with High Footfall
Indian Railways on Thursday (17.09.2020) said it will soon start levying an additional ‘user fee’ along with train fares at some major stations with high footfall.
Railway board CEO VK Yadav announced that the national transporter will start charging a user fee along with the train fares. Yadav said the additional fee will be used to redevelop railway stations and modernise infrastructure across the network in order to attract investments. “Where the footfall is increasing we will charge it (user fee) there. We need it to provide world-class infrastructure,” VK Yadav said. He said only 10-15 per cent of the total number of 7,000 stations will have this additional fee. This means around 700-1,000 railway stations will see a rise in fares. The amount that will be charged as user fee has not yet been decided.
It may be noted that the user fee is similar to the user development fee (UDF) paid by air passengers. The UDF, however, varies from city to city. The Indian Railways may decide the user fee on the basis of footfall and whether there is a need to redevelop or expand a station. It has come to light that the railway ministry has so far earmarked around 50 stations for redevelopment. Yadav further added that the user fee will “not impact” the common man and the rise in fare will be nominal. He, however, added that the Indian Railways intends to gradually charge a small user fee at all stations. According to him, the additional user fee will help in offering better services to passengers. Yadav concluded by saying that the railways is planning to upgrade all major stations in the country.
Government to allow Private Railways to set their own Fares
India will allow private companies to set passenger fares once they start operating train services. Private players have been given the freedom to fix fares in their own way, “VK Yadav, chairman of India’s Railway Board, told reporters on Thursday. But “air-conditioned buses and planes also operate on those routes, and they have to keep that in mind before setting fares.