Tatkal Rules : Indian Railway
With a view to provide reservation to those passengers who have to undertake journey at short notice and to save such passengers from the clutches of unscrupulous elements/touts, Tatkal Reservation Scheme was initially introduced in December, 1997.
Initially this scheme was available only in around 110 trains and mainly in Sleeper Class. At that time an extra coach was to be attached for this purpose. This scheme was thoroughly revised in August 2004 and some modifications were made from time to time. Following are the the details of Tatkal Rules in Indian Railway.
- Tatkal Ticket Booking : Complete Details
- Premium Tatkal Quota
- Method to Avoid misuse of Tatkal Scheme
- Tatkal Ticket Booking : “Book Now Pay Later ” by IRCTC
- Luggage Rule in Trains by Indian Railway
TATKAL TICKET BOOKING : COMPLETE DETAILS
Complete details of Tatkal Ticket Booking are here.
Features of Tatkal Scheme
The salient features of this scheme as on date are as under:-
- Tatkal booking for AC classes opens at 10.00 hours on the previous day of journey excluding date of journey from the train originating station. For non-AC classes, Tatkal booking starts at 11.00 hours on the previous day of journey excluding date of journey from the train originating station. (For example, if train is to depart from the originating station on the second of the month, the Tatkal quota for that particular train shall open at 10.00/11.00 hours on the first of the month.)
- The reservation under this scheme is available only upto the time of preparation of charts. At the time of preparation of charts, the vacant Tatkal accommodation is released to the RAC / waitlisted passengers and no Tatkal charges are realised from such passengers.
- The facility of change of name is not permitted on the bookings made under Tatkal scheme.
- No duplicate Tatkal tickets are issued. Duplicate Tatkal tickets are issued only in exceptional cases on payment of full fare including Tatkal charges.
- The reservation under this scheme can be sought by full fare paying passengers only and no passenger holding concessional ticket is allowed to avail reservation under this scheme.
- In case of tickets booked under Tatkal scheme, during the journey, one of the passengers booked on that ticket is required to produce any one of the prescribed proof of identity (in original), failing which all the passengers booked on that ticket are considered as travelling without ticket and charged accordingly.
- Tatkal tickets are issued subject to the applicable distance restrictions.
- Tatkal charges have been fixed as a percentage of fare at the rate of 10% of basic fare for second class and 30% of basic fare for all other classes subject to minimum and maximum as given in the table below:-
|Class of Travel||Minimum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)||Maximum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)||Minimum Distance for Charges (in Km)|
|Reserved Second Sitting (25)||10||15||100|
|AC Chair Car||125||225||250|
|AC – 3 Tier||300||400||500|
- In case the total run of the train is less than the distance restriction, end fare i.e. from originating to destination station shall be charged.
- There will be no such restriction for Tatkal scheme in passenger trains.
- The above charges will be levied uniformly both in peak period and non-peak periods
Refund Rule for Tatkal Tickets
Keeping in view the short Advance Reservation Period and with a view to make this scheme economically unavailable for unscrupulous elements/touts, refund rules of the scheme have been made stringent in which no refund is granted on the confirmed Tatkal tickets.
However, full refund of fare and Tatkal charges is granted on the tickets booked under Tatkal scheme under certain circumstances like non-attachment of coach, cancellation of train, as explained below:-
- If the train is delayed by more than 3 hours at the journey originating point of the passenger and not the boarding point if the passenger’s journey originating point and boarding point are different.
- If the train is to run on a diverted route and passenger is not willing to travel.
- If the train is to run on diverted route and boarding station or the destination or both the stations are not on the diverted route.
- In case of non attachment of coach in which Tatkal accommodation has been earmarked and the passenger has not been provided accommodation in the same class.
- If the party has been accommodated in lower class and does not want to travel. In case the party travels in lower class, the passenger will be given refund of difference of fare and also the difference of Tatkal charges, if any.
- TDRs are not being issued for waiting list tickets.
Tatkal Ticket Online Booking
- The agents both web service agents and web agents shall also be restricted from booking Tatkal tickets on the internet between 10.00 hours and 12.00 hours.
- Even for internet booking for Tatkal tickets, the passenger shall enter the identity proof type and number, which is to be used for travel. These details shall be printed on the ERS/indicated on the VRM/MRM as well as in the reservation chart.
- All authorized ticketing agents of Indian Railways/IRCTC have been restricted from booking Tatkal tickets at the counters between 10.00 hours and 10.30 hours for tickets in AC classes and between 11.00 hours and 11.30 hours for non-AC classes.
- It is possible to book a maximum of only 4 passengers per PNR for Tatkal tickets.
- The web services agents of IRCTC have been permitted to book only one Tatkal ticket per train per day on the internet.
- Powers for earmarking of Tatkal accommodation in different classes have been delegated to Zonal Railways who take a decision in this regard keeping in view the utilization pattern in that class during the previous financial year as well as availability of accommodation. The accommodation so earmarked, however, in no case exceed upto maximum of 30% of capacity of coach depending on the utilization of this quota during the last 6 month period.
- Instructions have also been issued to zonal Railways to introduce Tatkal scheme in the passenger trains in that train/class in which average utilization during the previous financial year has been more than 60%. The minimum Tatkal charges prescribed for different classes will be applicable as fl at Tatkal charges. All other conditions applicable to normal Tatkal scheme will be applicable in case of identified passenger trains.
The Up – Gradation Scheme
- With a view to optimize the utilization of available accommodation in train, a scheme to upgrade full-fare paying passengers to the higher class without any extra charge against the available vacant accommodation is available in almost Mail/Express trains.
- The passengers are required to give the option for being considered for up gradation. If no option is given at the time of filling up of requisition form, the same is treated as “yes” and passenger(s) can be considered for up gradation.
- The passengers for up gradation are selected automatically (except in cases where the passenger has shown his unwillingness to be upgraded) on random basis by the System at the time of preparation of reservation charts.
- All the passengers on a ticket are upgraded together.
- It is not done for block booking transactions.
- If a passenger, who has been upgraded, cancels his ticket, cancellation charges of the original class only are payable. It is advisable to avail the facility (by exercising the option in the affirmative) and always to check the status (coach/ berth numbers) before boarding the train.
Tatkal Ticket Booking Guide
PREMIUM TATKAL QUOTA
- Some of the trains by zonal Railways most in demand, 50% of the existing accommodation under Tatkal Quota has been earmarked as Premium Tatkal Quota and is being sold on dynamic pricing.
- This is distance slab based fare scheme where the fare increase by 20% after each slab of 10% berths are sold subject to the existing cap (maximum fare chargeable) on dynamic fare.
- The Premium Tatkal quota is booked only through the internet.
- The berths/seats left over under the Premium Tatkal quota are allotted first to the waitlisted passengers under the tatkal quota and thereafter to the passengers waitlisted under general quota.
- All rules for the tatkal quota are applicable to the premium tatkal quota also.
- Other terms and conditions are applicable as per running of premium train services.
Details of Tatkal rule applicable on Premium Tatkal Tickets.
- Concession tickets are not allowed
- Refund as per Tatkal Rule.
Details of Premium Train rules applicable on PT
- No waiting list
- Booking not allowed across counter.
Salient Features of Premium Tatkal (PT) Quota booking on Dynamic Pricing
- New quota as Premium Tatkal (PT) Quota is being introduced by Railway with dynamic fare pricing.
- Dynamic fare stands for the fare component which may be increased with the subsequent bookings.
- Opening days booking to be allowed on/after 10:00 hrs.
- Advance Reservation Period (ARP) of Premium Tatkal ticket booking is same as Tatkal ticket booking.
- Agents will not be allowed to book tickets in this quota.
- Dynamic fare shall be charged for confirm passengers.
- RAC/ Wait list Ticket Booking is not allowed.
- Only E-tickets will be permitted for booking.
- I-ticket Booking is not allowed with this Quota.
- No concession shall be applicable in this Quota.
- Child passenger will be charged with full fare.
- Identity card number of the prescribed proof of identity is required at the time of booking. At least one passenger should travel with his/her ID card in original which was used at the time of booking.
- No refund is given to passengers in case of cancellation of confirm PT quota ticket.
- All rules for tatkal quota booking over internet is applicable to Premium Tatkal quota also.
METHOD TO AVOID MISUSE OF TATKAL SCHEME
- One of the passengers booked on the ticket has to show the prescribed proof of identity (in original) during journey failing which all the passengers booked on that ticket are treated as travelling without ticket and charged accordingly.
- No refund is granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal ticket.
- The facility of change of name is not permitted on the booking made under Tatkal Scheme.
- The timings of opening of booking under Tatkal scheme on the opening day of reservation have been staggered to 10.00 hours and 11.00 hours on the previous day of journey from train originating station for AC and non-AC classes respectively.
- Authorized ticketing agents have been restricted from booking Tatkal tickets during the first thirty minutes of opening of Tatkal booking i.e. from 10.00 hours to 10.30 hours and from 11.00 hours to 11.30 hours.
- Web service agents have been permitted to book only one Tatkal ticket per train per day.
- Maximum four passengers per PNR for Tatkal Tickets. Individuals are allowed only 2 Tatkal tickets per IP Address from 10.00 hours to 12.00 hours permissible and maximum number of tickets allowed to an individual user is 6 per month.
- Automatic log out after completion of one transaction.