Senior Citizens Facilities in Indian Railway
Indian Railway have been extended many facilities to Senior Citizens from time to time. The facilities including WheelChair, Lower Berth Quota, Concessions, Buggy services, Give up Scheme etc. Following are the Senior Citizens Facilities in Indian Railway.
- Senior Citizens Concession Rules
- Lower Berth Quota for Senior Citizens
- Facilities at Stations for Senior Citizens
- GIVE UP SCHEME for Senior Citizens
Senior Citizens Concession Rules
Male Senior Citizens of minimum 60 years and lady senior citizens of minimum 58 yers are granted concession in the fares of all classes of Mail/Express/Rajdhani/Shatabdi/ Jan Shatabdi/ Duronto group of trains. The element of concession is 40% for men and 50% for women.
Further details are attached. Senior Citizens Concession Rules
Concession to Transgender Senior Citizen
Ministry of Railway decide (01.01.2019) to grant 40% concession in passenger fare to Transgender Senior Citizen of the age of 60 years and above.
Lower Berth Quota for Senior Citizens
In the computerised Passenger Reservation system (PRS) there is a provision to allot lower berths to Senior Citizens, female passengers of 45 years and above automatically, even if no choice is given, subject to availability of accommodation at the time of booking. Separate counters are earmarked at various PRS centres for dealing with reservation requisitions. Further details are attached.
- After departure of the train, if there are vacant lower berths available in the train and if any person with disability booked on the authority of handicapped concession or an senior citizens or a pregnant woman, who has been allotted upper/middle berth, approaches for allotment of vacant lower berths, the on board ticket checking staff has been authorised to allot the vacant lower berth to them making necessary entities in the chart.
- Accommodation is also earmarked for senior citizens during specified hours on suburban sections by Central Railway and Western Railway.
Facilities at Stations for Senior Citizens
Railway arranged Wheel Chair facilities, Buggy Services facilities, Yatri Mitra Sewa facilities at Railway stations.
Wheel Chair Facilities at Stations
This facility is provided, duly escorted by coolies (on payment). Passenger can book e-wheel chairs online through IRCTC Portal.
Buggy Services at Railway Stations
Battery Operated Cars (Buggy Services) at Railway Stations are also available.
Yatri Mitra Sewa
To help senior citizens and disabled passengers Yatri Mitra Sewa is available at major stations to book wheel chair services cum porter services.
GIVE UP SCHEME for Senior Citizens
Ministry of Railway introduced (15.07.2017) Give up Scheme to Senior Citizens of Indian Nationality. As per the scheme, senior citizen can opt an Option to give up the element of Concessional amount upto 50% or 100%. This scheme introduced for reserved tickets including PRS counter and E-tickets.
Forgo senior citizen concession
Senior Citizen passenger eligible for Senior Citizens concession who wish to opt out of the concession fully or some part and contribute towards Nation Development may book their tickets without the concession element.
- To book tickets without Senior Citizen Concession :- Such passengers can select “Forgo Full Concession” option under “Option for Senior Citizen Concession” section of passenger details form.
- To book ticket with 50% of Senior Citizen Concession :- Such passengers can select “Forgo 50% Concession” option under “Option for Senior Citizen Concession” section of passenger details form.
A copy of Revised Reservation/Cancellation form is below.