Railway Schemes : Travel Insurance Details
Indian Railway has announced various passenger friendly schemes including Voluntary Passenger Insurance etc.. Following are the details about various schemes by Railway.
- OPTIONAL INSURANCE SCHEME BY RAILWAY EXTENDED
- OPTIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR E-TICKET PASSENGERS
- CLAIM PROCESS FOR TRIP DELAY ON IRCTC TEJAS EXPRESS
- RAILWAY INSURANCE : AMOUNT OF COMPENSATION AND COMPANIES
Optional Insurance Scheme
OPTIONAL INSURANCE SCHEME BY RAILWAY EXTENDED
Indian Railway on 05.02.2020 announced via press release that the optional Insurance scheme has been further extended from 01.09.2019 to 31.08.2020 and three Insurance companies namely M/s Bharti Axa General Insurance Co. Ltd, M/s Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Co. Ltd., and M/s Shriram General Insurance Co. Ltd., selected by IRCTC on tender basis, are providing the insurance facility to the passengers.
The Sum assured to be given to victim passenger/family or legal heir of the victim are as follows:-
- In case of Death – Rs.10 lakh,
- Permanent Total Disability – Rs.10 Lakh,
- Permanent Partial Disability – up to Rs.7.5 Lakh,
- Hospitalization Expenses for Injury – Rs.2 Lakh,
- Transportation of mortal remains – Rs.10 Thousand.
Under the scheme, sum assured is paid to the victim/family or legal heir of the victim as the case may be, in case of death/injury of reserved passengers due to train accident/untoward incidents as defined under Section 123 read with Sections 124 and 124-A of the Railways Act, 1989; subject to the qualification that the coverage will be valid from the actual departure of train from the originating station to actual arrival of train at the destination station including ‘process of entraining’ and ‘process of detraining’ the train.
A total amount of Rs. 21.55 crores has been received by IRCTC on account of premium from Rail Passengers and paid to the Insurance companies between the period from 01.09.2016 to 31.12.2019.
A total amount of Rs. 12.49 crores has been paid by the Insurance companies to the passengers in lieu of accidents.
No amount has been received by the Railways as the premium is paid directly to the Insurance companies and there is no provision in the agreements to get any commission from the Insurance companies.
OPTIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR E-TICKET PASSENGERS
- The scheme is applicable only for Indian Citizens who book their e-ticket through NGeT Website Application only. Citizen of foreign countries are not eligible for this scheme.
- The scheme is optional, however if the option is exercised it will be compulsory for all passengers booked under one PNR number.
- The premium w.e.f 01-Oct-2018 is Re. 49 paise per passenger inclusive of all taxes.
- Customer shall receive the policy information through SMS and on their registered email IDs directly from Insurance Companies along with the link for filling nomination details. However, Policy number can be viewed from Ticket booked history at IRCTC Page.
- After the booking of ticket, the nomination details to be filled at respective Insurance Company site. If nomination details is not filled then the settlement shall be made with legal heirs, if the claim arises.
- The coverage for the policy shall be for each passenger under the PNR in case of Death, Permanent Total Disability, Permanent Partial Disability, and Hospitalization Expenses for Injury and Transportation of mortal remains following Rail Accident or untoward incident.
- The optional travel insurance will not be provided for the children below 5 years of age.
- In case of passenger opting for insurance, the claim/liability shall be between insured and the Insurance Company.
- In case of short termination of trains due to any reason, if the passenger opts for the alternate mode of transportation arranged by railway upto the destination station, then this part of the journey of the passenger shall also be covered under the policy taken by the passenger.
- In case of diversion of train due to any reason, the coverage shall be for the diverted route.
- In case of Vikalp train, the policy obtained by the passenger for covering this journey in the original train shall be valid in the Vikalp train also.
- Once the premium is paid by the passengers no cancellations is allowed. Accordingly, no refund of premium will be made in all cases including waitlisted ticket.
- The coverage for Hospitalisation Expenses for Injury is over and above the death/permanent total disability/partial disability
IRCTC TEJAS EXPRESS
CLAIM PROCESS FOR TRIP DELAY ON IRCTC TEJAS EXPRESS (TRAIN NO: 82501/82502/82901/82902)
Travel Insurance Claim Process for IRCTC Tejas Trains Passengers
Compensation Amount And Companies
RAILWAY INSURANCE : COMPENSATION AMOUNT AND COMPANIES
Details of Insurance Cover For Railway Passengers
Indian Railway announced an Optional Travel Insurance Scheme on a pilot basis. As per this for one year has been launched, w.e.f 01/09/2016 for the railway passengers who book e-ticket through official website of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC). Under the scheme reserved passengers who expire or are disabled permanently or partially due to train accident and untoward incidents during train journey will be entitled to sum assured as per the details given below, Indian Railway announced through a press release on 16.11.2016. The objective behind the scheme is to maximize compensation to the passengers for the loss caused to them by train accident and untoward incidents.
IRCTC which is a wholly owned undertaking of Ministry of Railways has entered into an agreement with three Insurance Companies through Limited Tender, namely
- Shriram General Insurance Company Ltd.,
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Ltd.
- Royal Sundaram General Insurance Co. Ltd.
The amount of compensation to be given to passengers are as follows
- In case of Death – 10 lakh
- Permanent Total Disability – 10 Lakh
- Permanent Partial Disability – 7.5 Lakh
- Hospitalization Expenses for Injury – 2 Lakh
- Transportation of mortal remains – 10 Thousand.
The insurance cover will cover all reserved classes (SL, 1 AC, 2 AC, 3 AC) and trains except passenger trains and Sub-Urban trains for tickets booked online on the IRCTC website. Personal belongings are not covered under the said scheme.