Train Concession Rules for Students & Youths
- General Terms and Conditions
- Procedure to avail the Student Concession
- Category Wise Concession
- Concession Charges for Students by Railway
General Terms and Conditions
- The concession is 50 % on the BASIC fare. No concession in other charges, e.g. catering charges, reservation charges, supplementary charges like super fast surcharge, enhanced reservation charges, taxes (if any) shall be collected in full.
- Student concession Applying Process: – The Student Concession tickets are permitted only in ✅ Sleeper Class (SL) and 2nd Sitting (2S)
- I tickets. Only I-tickets can be exchanged with student concession by presenting the I-ticket and the valid student concession order to the nearest Railway Reservation Office by going to the reservation office along with his journey cum reservation ticket and a request for exchanging the same with the student concession. He will surrender his original fully paid ticket and a student concession ticket with the revised fare (with same seat/berth number status) shall be issued to him. The difference of fare (paid and payable) less the clerk age charge of ✅ Rs. 20/- shall be refunded and shall be credited to his account electronically on the next day by IRCTC on receipt of refund file from the Railways.
- Age of the student not exceeding 25 years.
- For every 18 students, maximum 2 faculty members, can also, avail the same concession, if required. Maximum 20 entries per one form.
- General Manager or the Chief Commercial Superintendent of the concerned Zonal Railway Administration, AUTHORIZES the concession, whereas, Chief Booking supervisor will arrange to ISSUE the concessional tickets. The offices that they occupy, may not be in the same building.
- Take parents consent to take their son/daughter on this tour.
- Take all tour members’ consent to represent them for this booking.
- Part edit /omit of name, part cancel /refund will be, practically, not possible from IRCTC side. Therefore, once, the list is finalized- signed and sealed- no further change.
Procedure to avail the Student Concession
- Multiple visits to railway offices are required. On-line, is not possible.
- There is no set form, like standard reservation form. Prepare Format A in excel sheet like with information about students like ; name, contact number, gender, DOB, college ID no., sign. Get this list counter signed by Principal / Head of the Department.
- Get recommendation from Principal / Head of the Department on the letterhead of your college. Letter must be addressed to the Chief Commercial Superintendent, requesting to grant permission to book tickets under student concession. The letter must declare
- The purpose of visit.
- Date of outward journey and destination station.
- Date of back journey and home town/city.
- Take acknowledgement of the submission.
- All, above mentioned, set of three originals for them, and fourth copy, for your ready reference. This is to be taken to the zonal office and submitted. Superintendent may ask you to come after two days to collect the letter authorizing the concession. After two days, carry his letter to the Chief Booking supervisor at the reservation office and submit. He may ask you to come after 7 days. Take acknowledgement of the submission.
- Make payment on the counter, mostly in cash, and check and collect papers of your group booking.
For Mumbai Local Trains
- If you are college going student then you will get an application form for Railway Concession. You have to fill this application form and then submit to your college office for permission ( Principal or HOD sign).
- Then you have to produce this form in front of the booking counter to get a monthly pass.
- You can get 1st class or 2nd class pass monthly/ Quarterly or Yearly whatever you want.
Category Wise Concession
- Students going to hometown and educational tours :General Category – 50% in 2nd and SL class & 50% in MST and QSTSC/ST Category – 75% in 2nd and SL class & 75% in MST and QSTGirls upto Graduation and boys upto 12th standard (including students of Madrasa) between home & school (MST) – Free second class MST
- Students of Govt. schools in rural areas – for study tour – once a year – 75% in 2nd class
- Entrance exam – Girls of Govt. schools in rural areas for national level for medical, engineering, etc. entrance exam – 75% in 2nd class
- Concession to students appearing in main written examination conducted by UPSC & Central Staff Selection Commissions – 50% in 2nd class
- Foreign students studying in India – traveling to attend camps/seminars organised by Govt. of India and also visit to places of historical & other importance during vacations – 50% in 2nd and SL class
- Research scholars upto the age of 35 years – for journeys in connection with research work – 50% in 2nd and SL class
- Students and non-students participating in Work Camps – 25% in 2nd and SL class
- Cadets and Marine Engineers apprentices undergoing Navigational/ Engineering training for Mercantile Marine – for travel between home and training ship – 50% in 2nd and SL class.
Concession to Bharat Scouts and Guides
Ministry of Railway have decide to include the following state unit of the Bharat Scouts and Guide to get concession in rail fare.
Concession Charges for Students by Railway
Details regarding percentage of concession by railway to the Students and Youths.
|Railway Concession Rule for Students and Youths|
|Category of Persons||Element of Concession||Purpose of Travel||Authority Required for availing Concession|
|Class 1||Class II/SL|
|Either of parents accompanying the child Recipients of National Bravery Award||-||50%||Any Purpose||Copy of identity Card issued to child by Indian Council for Child Welfare.|
|Upto 25 yrs of age||-||50%||(i)For going to home town during vacations (ii) to appear for exam (iii) educational tours||Concession order in prescribed pro forma signed by Head of the Concerned Institution.|
|Upto 27 yrs of age in case of SC/ST students||-||50%|
|For Students of Govt schools situated in rural areas||-||75% in second Class (not Sleeper class) is available once a year for going on study tour in groups of minimum 20|
|Girl Students of Govt Schools situated in rural areas||-||75% in second (not Sleeper)||For appearing in national level entrance exam for medical, engineering and other professional||Certificate from Head of the School and copy of Admit Card/Call Letter|
|Concession to students appearing in written examination||-||50% in second (Not Sleeper)||For appearing in main written examination conducted by UPSC and Central Staff Selection Commissions.||Certificate from Head of the School and copy of Admit Card/Call Letter|
|Foreign students studying in India||-||50%||To attend camps/seminars organised by Govt. of India or visit to places of historical importance etc.||Certificate from Head of the educational institution or Indian council for Cultural Relations.|
|Research scholars upto the age of 35 yrs||-||50%||Travelling for research work||Certificate from the Registrar of University or Director of the Public Instruction|
|Youth attending National Integration Camps|
|National Youth Project||-||50%||National Integration Camps||Certificate in prescribed pro forma from Secretary of the concerned Organisation|
|Manav Uththan Sewa Samiti||-||40%|
|Students and non students||-||25%||To render voluntary service during natural calamities||Certificate from the concerned recognised educational, social or cultural organisation organising the work camp|
|Cadets and Marine Engineers apprentices undergoing Navigational/Engineering training for Mercantile Mfirine||-||50%||For travel beyond 300 kms between home and training ship at the beginning and end of each term.||Authorised letter in prescribed form from Captain Supdt. Trainship/Course Director/Officer in charge.|
|Bharat Scouts and Guides||-||50%||Travelling beyond 300 Kms for Scout or Guide duty||Certificate from Scouter or Guider and Conuntersigned by Secretary Commissioner National HQ or Dist. Commissioner of State.|
|Unemployed Youth||-||50%||To appear in interview for jobs in PSUs (Full Concession in only second class, for interview for Central/State Govt, jobs)||Attested copy of (1) Call letter from concerned organisation indicating date and place of interview, (ii) copy of application form submitted by the candidate.|
50% Rail Travel Concession For Youth Participating In The “Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat” Programme
Indian Railway published on 18.12.2019 that in order to facilitate the travel of youth participants of “Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat” program, Railways has decided to grant 50% concession in basic fare of train tickets. Criteria for getting concession are under.
Criteria For the Concession
- Concession is only in basic fares of Second/Sleeper Class to youths with earnings/emoluments of not more than Rs.5000/- per month for travelling from one State to another State to take part in ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ programme.
- This concession has been granted as a special case and it is admissible only in the normal train services and not for booking of Special Trains/Coaches.
- The concessional return journey tickets may also be issued on payment of one single journey fares of Second/Sleeper class Mail/Express fares to persons travelling more than 300 Kms from the journey commencing station to the station serving the place of the Festival.
- This concession will be provided on production of requisite certificate in the prescribed railway format from the Secretary of concerned Department of Human Resource Development of various States.
- The intending participants are required to submit the certificate to the authorized officers of the Railway concerned, namely the Chief Commercial Manager, the Divisional Commercial Manager etc. who will issue them the concession orders on presentation of which only the Station Master will allow the concession to them.
- Certificates will not be issued to those whose travelling expenses are to be borne by the Central or State Government or a local body or statutory or a Corporation or a Government Undertaking or a University.
- It may also be noted that supplementary charges, reservation charges and other applicable charges etc shall be levied in full for both directions.
✅ Is student concession applicable for both E- Tickets / I – tickets?
The Student Concession tickets are permitted only in Sleeper Class (SL) and 2nd Sitting (2S). Presently it is not permitted in e-tickets.
✅ How will I be refunded the difference of fare paid extra with respect to student concession?
The difference of fare (paid and payable) less the clerk age charge of Rs. 20/- shall be refunded and shall be credited to his account electronically on the next day by IRCTC on receipt of refund file from the Railways.