Railway Action Plan for Monsoon 2019
Western Railway announced that in order to keep the wheels of all trains running and to ensure uninterrupted services during ensuing monsoon, pre-monsoon preparation works are going on in Western Railway in full swing. Considering the experience in the previous monsoon in Vasai-Virar sector along with various other areas, additional steps have been taken to ensure smooth operations during monsoon.
According to a press release issued by Shri Ravinder Bhakar – Chief Public Relations Officer of Western Railway these works include cleaning and desilting of culverts, desilting of side-drains, installations of high-power diesel and electric pumps, special maintenance of infrastructure, etc.These works will be completed by 1st June 2019 in the first phase. 2nd phase of culverts and drain cleaning shall be undertaken from 1st June, 2019 onwards.
Analysis of Rainfall and Flood prone areas:
Western Railway has identified flood-prone areas on its suburban section. Based on this analysis, extra attention will be given to certain sections which are potentially low-lying area and are thus likely to be inundated. These areas have been identified as tracks/yards of Grant Road, Elphinstone Road, Dadar, Matunga Rd-Mahim, Bandra-Khar, Andheri-Jogeshwari and Vasai-Virar sections.
Western Railway has also compiled the data from Tide-table wherein dates of high tides of more than 4.0 meters during ensuing monsoon, between 1st June, 2019 to 30th Sept, 2019, have been included. This will help in taking necessary precautions as and when required.
Special Pre-monsoon Action and Action to be taken during monsoon:
- Of the 53 culverts existing in Churchgate-Virar suburban section, first round of desilting in 37 culverts has been completed, while balance 16 shall be completed by 20/05/2019. 2nd round of desilting will be done after conducting Joint inspection of first round in month of June 2019 and subsequently, in August 2019. Remaining major culverts will be got cleaned by MCGM officials and these include Mithi river, Dharavi Nallah, Poisar nallah, etc. Joint inspection are also being carried-out by Western Railway and MCGM officials.
- Lifting of tracks in low-lying areas has already been completed in Mahim Yard on Harbour lines, on Bandra-Khar Down slow line where water-logging has been observed in previous years. Lifting of track upto 200 mm is to be carried out in Vasai-Virar section and this work is in progress and will be completed by 25.05.19.
- Lowering of cess alongside of tracks is under progress. Approx 1,60,000 cum muck has been lifted by deploying JCB, Poclain, manual labour and specially-designed muck special EMU train. This activity will ensure smooth flow of storm-water during monsoon.
- WR has installed about 154 high-power pumps at vulnerable low-lying locations such as Marine Lines, Mumbai Central, Dadar, Matunga Road, Mahim, Bandra, Andheri, Borivali, Nalasopara, Virar etc.
- WR has also undertaken the work of desilting of side-drains. 60% of drains have already been cleaned. This work will be completed by 25.05.19. Subsequent round of cleaning will be undertaken in July and August, 2019 as per requirement.
- Western Railway has come up with an instruction booklet for Monsoon precautions called monsoon booklet for its Officers, supervisors and station staff. This book not only mentions the flood-prone areas and important dates of high tides, but it also gives details of precautions to be taken during such situations. It also has comprehensive details of telephone numbers of Officials dealing with disaster management, important telephone numbers of Railway Officers, Supervisors and civil officials such as MCGM, NDRF, Weather Bureau, Hospitals etc.
- In order to ensure running of trains during monsoon, special attention is also being given to maintenance of Overhead electric equipments. This includes cleaning of insulators, checking of protective screens on FOB/ROB, protection of contact and catenary wires and earthing.
- Joint survey for Cutting and trimming of vulnerable trees existing in the vicinity of track has been done by MCGM and WR officials. Necessary cutting and trimming will be completed by 25.05.19.
- WR has also taken-up monsoon-related maintenance work of its EMU suburban rakes which include detection and plugging of possible leakages in EMU coaches and their electrical equipment, smooth movements of windows and doors etc. Work of cleaning of roof of coaches and insulators has also been taken-up.
- Insulation testing of various signalling gears will be completed before onset of monsoon and wherever required, repairs/replacement shall be carried-out.
- Monsoon protective gears viz, gum boots and rain coats to maintenance staff are being procured and shall be distributed before onset of monsoon.
- Stocking of sufficient maintenance spares before onset of monsoon is being ensured.
- Running of Muck specials which includes one self propelled Muck spl. of EMU coaches to clear muck and garbage as and when required.
- Cleaning of drains at station and platforms to avoid water-logging in station premises.
- Special trains carrying boulder and quarry dust are kept in readiness to deal with breaches and wash-out situation.
- Special precautions are going to be taken at stations to monitor crowd build-up during water-logging by monitoring through CCTV and ensuring regular announcement as well as crowd-management.
- Round-clock monitoring and manning of Mumbai Central control office by officers of various Depts during heavy rains and maximum high-tide days by deputing officers/supervisors at vulnerable locations.
- Provision of May I help you booth in case of emergency to guide passenger will be opened at all vulnerable stations.
- Real time updates on twitter to guide passengers.
- Regular announcements at station.
- Stall owners have been instructed to keep adequate amount of stock during water-logging.
Coordination with officials of Municipal Corporation Greater Mumbai, Mira-Bhayander Municipal Corporation and Vasai-Virar City Municipal Corporation:
Pre-cleaning Joint inspections byWestern Railway and Municipal officials have been carried out. It also includes provision of pumps by municipal officials at locations where blockage in drainage is expected. A hotline communication has been set up between MCGM Disaster control and Western Railway Traffic control for quick communication during emergency.
There had been water-logging noticed in Virar-Nallasopara area during 2018 monsoon, which had adversely affected train movement for several hours and in order to ascertain the constraints to free-flow of storm-water in this area, following action has been taken: –
- Dredging and desilting of drain and nala running in parallel to railway track and connecting to Vasai-Vaitarna creek has been undertaken. Work is nearly 60% complete and remaining is targeted to be completed by 30/05/2019.
- Desilting of culverts crossing track has been undertaken by using suction pump/desludging machine. Approximately 70% of culvert have been cleaned and rest are targeted to be completed by 25/05/2019.
- New underground drains has to be constructed between Vasai-Virar section for facilitating flow of storm-water during monsoon. Two nos. will be completed before 30/05/2019. IIT Mumbai had been consulted for hydrological survey of entire topography of Virar-Nallasopara section and report has been received and being studied for further implementation. Action will be taken shortly so as to avoid any water-logging during ensuing monsoon. Aerial survey by drone of Virar-Nallasopara area has been planned and shall be undertaken from 15.05.2019 onwards so as to ascertain the reasons for constraints to free-flow of storm-water. In addition to cleaning of existing culverts, construction of new culverts as well as widening of existing culverts are being undertaken in Virar-Nallasopara area.
- IIT Mumbai had been consulted for hydrological survey of entire topography of Virar-Nallasopara section and report has been received and being studied for further implementation. Action will be taken shortly so as to avoid any water-logging during ensuing monsoon.
- Aerial survey by drone of Virar-Nallasopara area has been planned and shall be undertaken from 15.05.2019 onwards so as to ascertain the reasons for constraints to free-flow of storm-water.
- In addition to cleaning of existing culverts, construction of new culverts as well as widening of existing culverts are being undertaken in Virar-Nallasopara area.
1.Indian Metrological Department is shortly going to install Automatic Rain-Gauge at 06 stations viz. Ram Mandir, Mahalaxmi, Bandra, Dahisar, Mira Road and Bhayander for which necessary infrastructural support has been provided by Western Railway. Through these equipment, it shall be possible to do real time online monitoring of rainfall.