To explore this mysterious country, vacationers find luxury trains the best option as a convenient and suitable mode of transport. These trains provide world class comforts on the wheels while covering a number of excellent travel destinations in the shortest possible time span. Focusing on the most preferred destinations in India, these luxury trains serve you with personal attendants, libraries, recreational facilities and unexplored and delightful stop-overs. You are welcome to step aboard any one of them and enjoy the royal treatment during the travel.
IRCTC is providing a variety of luxury rail travel in India. Eight luxury trains are owned and operated by IR, the list and details of Eight Luxury Trains by IRCTC are here.
Name of the Train Image Official Website Maharajas’ Express https://www.the-maharajas.com/ Palace on Wheels http://rtdc.tourism.rajasthan.gov.in/Client/PalaceOnWheel.aspx Deccan Odyssey https://www.maharashtratourism.gov.in/deccan-odyssey/about/ Golden Chariot https://www.goldenchariot.org/ Royal Rajasthan on Wheels Royal Rajasthan On Wheels Train operating on 7 Nights Khajuraho/Varanasi Circuit with Rajasthan, STOPPED operations in March 2017 & its carriages are now being used on Palace on Wheels Circuit. Mahaparinirvan Express https://www.irctcbuddhisttrain.com/press-room Bharat Darshan https://www.irctctourism.com/ Fairy Queen / Steam Express https://www.irctctourism.com/pacakage_description?packageCode=FQ001
- Maharajas’ Express
- Flagged off in 2010. The Maharajas’ Express is India’s most expensive train.
- Palace on Wheels
- The Palace on Wheels is a luxury tourist train in India relaunched in August 2009, to promote tourism in Rajasthan. It was launched by the Indian Railways in association with Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation .
- Deccan Odyssey
- Deccan Odyssey is a special luxury train based on the model of Palace on Wheels , it is a venture of the Maharashtra Government and the Ministry of Railways.
- Golden Chariot
- Golden Chariot Train runs two luxurious routes known as Pride of the South Circuit and Southern Splendour
- Royal Rajasthan on Wheels
- The Royal Rajasthan on Wheels is a luxury tourist train. Tourists are taken to several important tourist, wildlife and heritage sites across Rajasthan.
- Mahaparinirvan Express
- Buddhist tourist train Mahaparinirvan Express is a famous IRCTC Train which got its name from Buddha’s final explanation of his teachings the Mahaparinirvana Sutra.
- Bharat Darshan
- Indian Railways is operating Astha Circuit Special or Bharat Darshan Tourist Trains and State Special Trains for promotion of religious tourism across India.
- Steam Express / Fairy Queen
- Fairy Queen is the oldest working Steam Locomotive in the world, built in 1855. It was Certified as the world’s oldest working locomotive by the Guinness Book of World Records.
Luxury Trains Tariff Cut by 50%
The Centre has decided to slash the tariff by almost 50 per cent on popular trains like Maharaja Express, Palace on Wheels, the Golden Chariot, Deccan Odyssey and Royal Orient, a famous Newspaper reported. Rail tourism aficionados can now make the most of it and spend more time to traverse the scenic and colourful landscapes of India. Tariff on such trains range anywhere from Rs 10,000 to Rs 34,000.
The move follows the Railway Ministry’s decision to slash the haulage charges borne by the State Tourism Departments, partners or stakeholders like IRCTC which run the trains in coordination with the network of Indian Railways.
Not only this, in yet another decision, private persons, who till date had only read about the luxury saloons or the inspection coaches used by the President of India, Prime Minister and top railway officials, can now hire the two-bedroom carriage with a lounge, kitchen and toilet setup aboard a train to enjoy a luxurious journey.
The tourism sector of the Indian Railways in recent months has been going through a lean patch as the popularity of royal trains, which once held a big attraction for foreign tourists, declined sharply.
Options are there…
- DECCAN QUEEN EXPRESS
- GATIMAN EXPRESS
- GOLDEN CHARIOT
- HUMSAFAR EXPRESS
- MAHAMANA EXPRESS
- TEJAS EXPRESS
- UDAY EXPRESS
- VISTADOME TRAINS