Luggage Rules in Trains by Indian Railway 2021
Indian Railway has a particular ✅ Rule for carrying luggage in Trains by each passenger while travelling in Trains especially reserved coaches. Following are Luggage Rules in Trains by Indian Railway.
Luggage Rules in Trains by Indian Railway 2021
permitted ( including
|AC First Class||70 Kgs||15 Kgs||150 Kgs|
|AC 2-Tier sleeper/First class||50 Kgs||10 Kgs||100 Kgs|
|AC 3-tier sleeper/AC chair car||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||40 Kgs|
|Sleeper class||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||80 Kgs|
|Second class||35 Kgs||10 Kgs||70 Kg|
- General Luggage Rules in Trains
- Bulky Surcharge
- Trunks, Suitcase and Boxes Size
- Brake Van Facility
- Free Allowance of Luggage in Trains
- The Fine amount for Excess Luggage
- Luggage is Loss or Damage
- Theft of Luggage in Trains
- Theft of Luggage in Trains – FIR Form ~ Download
- Luggage Rules for Carrying Animals
- Cloak Room and Locker Charges in Indian Railway 2019
General Luggage Rules in Trains
Following are the General Luggage Rules in Trains by Railway
- Luggage which is not fully and legibly ✅ addressed in English or Hindi will not be accepted for booking and carriage by train.
- Luggage which is not ✅ securely packed will not be accepted for booking and carriage unless the sender or his authorized agent executes a forwarding note and record there in such defects or improper packing.
- Luggage which is required to travel by the same train with the owner should be presented at the luggage office of the booking station at least ✅ 30 minutes before the advertised departure time of the train .
- Passengers booking their ✅ accommodation in advance are permitted to book their luggage in advance at the same time.
- Offensive articles, explosive, dangerous, inflammable articles and empty gas cylinders, dead poultry, and game, acids and other corrosive substance are not permitted to be booked as luggage.
- Oxygen cylinder with its supporting stand with patients under medical certificate can be permitted to be carried in all classes. Free allowance of luggage will be granted on oxygen cylinder and its supporting stand.
- ✅ Merchandized items are not permitted for booking and carriage in the compartment as personal luggage.
- The bulky surcharge is applicable only on a package weighing above 100 kgs or exceeding 1m*1m*0.7m in outside measurement.
- Package s exceeding any one of the dimensions specified will be treated as bulky even though the actual weight is less than 100 kgs on a volumetric basis.
- However, if one of the dimension is exceeded by 10% of the prescribed measurement but weight is within 100 kgs., on a volumetric basis, it will not be treated as bulky.
- The bulky surcharge will be levied at double the normal rate.
Trunks, Suitcase and Boxes Size
- Trunks, suitcase and boxes having outside measurement of 100 cms. x 60 cms x 25 cms (length x breadth x height) will be allowed to be carried in the passenger compartments as personal luggage.
- If the trunks, suitcase, and boxes, which in outside measurement exceed any one of the dimension, such articles are required to be booked and carried in the brake van and not in the passengers’ compartment. Maximum size of the trunks/suitcase than can be carried in the AC-3 tire and AC chair Car compartment is 55 cmsx45 cms x 22.5 cms.
Brake Van Facility
Luggage brake van in Indian Railway is a carrier of parcels booked by the customers.
- Luggage of larger dimension is to be carried only by brake van. The minimum charge for luggage is ₹ 30.
- Small parcels like bundles of books, merchant cloth baggage, motorcycle, fish boxes, dead body boxes etc are carried by brake van. For bulk items, there are goods trains or blue parcel Vans.
- As per instructions, there is no restriction on the carriage of luggage in the brake van of passenger trains as far as quantity and type (personal or merchandise) of luggage offered for booking is concerned.
- However, the excess luggage in the owner’s charge beyond the free allowance is charged at 1.5 times the rates under scale-L.
Free Allowance of Luggages in Trains
Each passenger is allowed a free allowance up to which he can carry luggage with him in the compartment, free of cost.
- Free allowance is not admissible for articles such as scooters, cycles etc.
- The free allowance varies for different classes of travel.
- Children aged 5 and below 12 years are allowed half of the free allowance subject to the maximum of 50 Kgs. Child Fare Rule
- Passengers are also permitted a marginal allowance. There is a maximum ceiling on the luggage which can be carried inside the compartment for each class.
The following maximum limit free allowance, marginal allowance are admissible for carriage of luggage in the compartment : These are indicated in the table below.
|Class||Free allowance (Maximum Limit)||Marginal allowance for Luggage||Maximum quantity permitted ( including free allowance)|
|AC First Class||70 Kgs||15 Kgs||150 Kgs|
|AC 2-Tier sleeper/First Class||50 Kgs||10 Kgs||100 Kgs|
|AC 3-tier Sleeper/AC Chair Car||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||40 Kgs|
|Sleeper Class||40 Kgs||10 Kgs||80 Kgs|
|Second Class||35 Kgs||10 Kgs||70 Kgs|
- Passenger are allowed to book and carry excess luggage beyond the free allowance with them in the compartment up to the maximum limit as per class mentioned above on payment of charge at 1.5 times of luggage rate.
Fine Amount for Excess Luggage
If your luggage marginally exceeds the free allowance, you will be charged at the normal luggage rates applicable to your class of travel. Above marginal allowance penalty will be charged, If detected . Make sure to book your excess luggage in the luggage office, pay the prescribed charges and get your tickets endorsed by cross-referencing the luggage ticket details, before commencing your journey. Free allowance is not admissible for articles such as scooters, cycles etc.
- When a passenger is detected either en route or at the destination with un booked or partially booked luggage weighing more than the free allowance, the excess un booked weight exceeding free allowance of luggage is charged at six times the luggage scale rate instead of 6 times of scale -R as earlier.
- However, if un booked or partially booked luggage is detected more than the free allowance of then luggage but within the marginal allowance, it is charged at 1.5 times the luggage scale rate.
- When a passenger is detected either en route or at destination with un booked or partially booked luggage weighing more than the maximum limit permitted the excess weight exceeding free allowance of luggage is charged at six times of the luggage scale rate subject to a minimum of ₹ 50/-. Cloak Room and Locker Charges in Indian Railway
Luggage is Lost or Damage
- Where the value of the luggage booked has not been declared beforehand by the consignor and the prescribing percentage charge not paid the monetary liability of the railways has been limited to ₹ 100/- per Kg.
- However, where the consignor has declared the value of the consignment and has also paid percentage charges, he will be entitled to get the claimed amount which will not exceed the value of the luggage so declared at the time of booking.
- The procedure of payment of percentage charge can be enquired from the luggage booking office.
Theft of Luggage in Trains
- In case of theft of luggage, robbery/dacoits in running trains, passenger can approach train conductors/coach attendant/guards or GRP escort.
- A prescribed FIR Form in English, Hindi and regional Language are available in the Timetable or with ‘TTEs/Guards or GRP escort. After filling it up, the form may be handed over to one of the officials viz., TTE, Guard or GRP escort for registration of the report at the next police station.
- The complaint will then be forwarded to the Police Station for necessary action.
- Passenger need not break your Journey to lodge a complaint with the police.
- Passenger can also approach the RPF Assistance Posts at major railway stations, for any assistance in lodging the complaint.
- All at the above services and commitments will be honoured without the citizens’ having to pay any bribe.
Theft of Luggage in Trains – FIR Form ~ Download
Forms to lodge First Information Report/complaint to Police are now available with Coach Attendants, Conductors, Guards Railway Protection Force (RPF) Train Escorts in running trains and with RPF Assistance Posts, RPF Post/Outpost in important Railway Stations. The affected passengers are requested to fill in the forms with relevant information and hand them over to the above-mentioned Railway officials/RPF personnel. The same shall be promptly forwarded to the Government Railway Police (GRP) concerned for registration and further action. Passengers are not required to break their journey to lodging their report with the Police.
Form for lodging of FIR / Complaint in case of Theft / Robbery / Dacoity
Luggage Rules for Carrying Animals
Luggage Rules for Carrying Pets, Dogs, Horses other live Animals and Birds Risk
- Under section 77-A of the Indian Railway Act, the liability of Railways as carriers of animals is limited as specified below, unless the sender elects to pay the percentage charge on value as shown in the Rule 1301:
- Per Head Elephants ✅ ₹ 1500/-
- Horses ✅ ₹ 750/-
- Mules, Camels or Horned Cattle ✅ ₹ 200/-
- Donkeys, Sheep, Goats, Dogs and other animals or birds ✅ ₹ 30/-
- The sender or his authorized agent is required to declare the value of each animal on the Forwarding Note when the value of an animal exceeds the amount specified above.
- The sender or his authorized agent must also record in the Forwarding Note whether he engages to pay the notified percentage charge on value. Should he elect no to pay the notified percentage value on value, the animal will be accepted for carriage under the terms and conditions of Section 77-A of Indian Railway Act.
- The Railway will not be liable for the loss, destruction or damage arising from freight or restiveness of the animal or from overloading of vehicle or wagon by the consigner or his agent or delay not caused by the negligence or misconduct of their servants, irrespective of whether the sender has engaged to pay the percentage charge on value or not.
- Railway will not be responsible for the loss, destruction, damage, deterioration or non_delivery of animals after the termination of transit as defined in Rule 153.
Rule and Rates for Conveyance of Dogs
- Dogs when carried in the break-van and/or A.C.C. and first class passenger compartments will be charged for at Scale ‘L'(luggage Rates) (PARCEL RATES – LUGGAGE PARCEL SERVICE – SCALE- L) Parcel on the basis of weights indicated below, subject to a minimum charge of ✅ ₹10/- per dog, charges being Prepaid: When carried in break van (Dog-Box) ✅ 30 Kgs When carried in passengers compartments 60 Kgs “Seeing Eye” dog traveling with a blind person in the compartment (First class) will, however, be charged the same tariff as for dogs carried in brake van. The dogs must be provided with Collars and Chains. Owners should make their own arrangements for food and water for the dog during the journey. Dogs detected unbooked will be charged at six times the Luggage Scale Rate subject to a minimum of ✅ ₹ 50/-
- A passenger traveling in First Air condition class or first class may take a dog into the compartment only with the concurrence of fellow passengers on payment of charges vide Clause above. The charges are to be prepaid. If fellow passengers subsequently object to the dog remaining in the compartment, it will be removed to the Guard’s van, no refund being given. Dogs detected unbooked with the passenger in IA and First class compartments will be charged six times the Luggage scale Rate subject to a minimum of ✅ ₹ 50/-.
- A lady travelling alone with children under 12 years of age in a first class compartment may take with her in the compartment one dog on payment of charges at the Dog Box Rates, subject to a minimum of ✅ ₹10/ –provided that if another lady enters the compartment, the dog can only be allowed to remain in the compartment with her consent. Any dog detected unbooked will be charged at double the dog-box rate for the distance up to the point of detection and at the dog-box rate for the distance beyond the total charge being subject to a minimum of ✅ ₹ 20/- for each dog. Ladies Quota in Trains
- Dogs are not allowed to be carried in ACC Sleeper Coaches, ACC Chair Car coaches Sleeper Class and Second Class Coaches. If a dog is found being carried in contravention of this rule, it will be removed immediately to the brake van and charges will be levied six times the Luggage Scale Rate subject to a minimum of ✅ ₹ 50/-
- Charge for dog carried in reserved compartments will be levied at the dog-box rate. Any dog detected unbooked will be charged six times the Luggage Scale Rate subject to a minimum of ✅ ₹ 50/-
- Large dogs which cannot be carried in the dog-box of a brake van will be carried in a special vehicle at the same rates and conditions as for horses.
✅ I want to carry my dog with me in train but I don’t know the procedure n documentation required. Please help me with it?
Parcel on the basis of weights indicated below, subject to a minimum charge of ✅ ₹10/- per dog, charges being Prepaid: When carried in break van (Dog-Box) ✅ 30 Kgs When carried in passengers compartments 60 Kgs “Seeing Eye” dog traveling with a blind person in the compartment (First class) will, however, be charged the same tariff as for dogs carried in brake van. The dogs must be provided with Collars and Chains. Owners should make their own arrangements for food and water for the dog during the journey. Dogs detected unbooked will be charged at six times the Luggage Scale Rate subject to a minimum of ✅ ₹ 50/-. Further details :- Luggage Rules for Carrying Animals.
✅ Which are all the things you cannot take in the train?
- Offensive articles.
- Explosive, dangerous, inflammable articles.
- Empty gas cylinders.
- Dead poultry.
- All corrosive substances.
✅ How can I book my Luggage in Trains?
Luggage which is required to travel by the same train with the owner should be presented at the luggage office of the booking station at least 30 minutes before the advertised departure time of the train. Passengers booking their accommodation in advance are permitted to book their luggage in advance at the same time.
✅ Can we carry fish in train?
The only way to carry fist in trains is to book an entire AC First Class coupe, otherwise prior booking in the Parcel office required.
✅ Can I carry alcohol in train in India?
Alcohol is an inflammable substance and not permitted in trains.
✅ Is gas stove allowed in train?
No, you can’t carry gas stove in trains.
✅ How can I send Parcel during Covid-19 Lockdown period?
Parcel and luggage service is available in already running 200 Special Main Express Trains. Covid-19 Parcel Special trains are also running. You may avail the services.