Ladies Quota in Trains
Indian Railway is providing many quota facility for the benefit of the passengers, especially for female passengers. Following are the details about Ladies Quota in Trains.
Seat Reservation for Female Passengers in Trains
Ministry of Railway announced on 04.12.2018 through press release that Railway has decided to earmark reserved accommodation in trains for female passengers in a bid to provide solace in their journey.
It has been decided that a reservation quota of six berths in 3 AC class of all Rajdhani/Duronto/fully Air Conditioned trains (having 3 AC class) should be earmarked for female passengers, irrespective of their age, travelling alone or in a group of female passengers.
At present, the following facilities for the above mentioned subject are already available:-
- A reservation quota of 6 Sleeper class berths in Mail/Express trains has been earmarked in third bay of the coach for female passengers irrespective of age, travelling alone or in a group of female passengers.
- A reservation quota of 6 berths in 3AC class of Garib Rath Express trains has been earmarked for female passengers irrespective of age, travelling alone or in a group of female passengers.
Seat Reservation for Pregnant Women
In All trains having reserved sleeping accommodation, a combined quota of following seats has been earmarked for Senior Citizens, Female passengers of 45 years of age and above and pregnant women.
- 06 lower berths per coach in Sleeper class
- 3 lower berths per coach each in AC 3 tier and AC-2 tier classes
- 3AC is 4 lower berths per coach – Rajdhani, Duronto and fully AC / Express trains
- 3 lower berths per coach – Normal Mail/Express trains
Ladies Quota in Trains
Railways reservation Ladies quota (LN) is a humanitarian effort adopted by Indian railways.
- In almost all the trains a special coach is attached for the lady passengers to ensure their safe and hassle free traveling.
- Male passengers are restricted to board such coaches.
- Six berths are allotted for lady passengers in one sleeper coach of a train. At the time of purchasing tickets such quotas can be availed by them.
- Ladies quota could be availed on reservation counters as well as on IRCTC website.
- Ladies travelling alone or with their children of age below 12 years are allowed for reservation of berth/ seat under this quota.
Railway reservation Rule : Ladies Quota
- All the trains has been provided a six berths in sleeper class only for ladies passengers who want to book train ticket.
- Every trains also have a combined quota of 2 lower berths (in sleeper class, AC 3 Tier Class and AC 2 Tier Classes ) that is specially earmarked for Female passengers 45 years of age and above traveling alone, pregnant women and Sr. Citizens in all trains.
- In case to claim ladies quota for Pregnant women, ladies should provide pregnancy certificate form registered Medical Practitioner during ticket booking.
Reservation for Ladies Quota in Trains by Indian Railway
Ministry of Railway announced (27.02.2018) through a circular that for Female passenger, Railways has earmarked 6 berths in 3 AC class of Garib Rath Express Trains, and 4 berths per coach, as against 3, in Rajadhani, Duronto and fully AC/Express trains, making rail travel easier for them.
At present following reserved accommodation is earmarked for use of female passengers:-
Facility for Ladies in Trains
- In Sleeper Class coach reservation quota of 6 berths in Mail/Express trains for ladies irrespective of age travelling alone or in a group of female passengers.
- In all trains having reserved sleeping accommodation, a combined quota of six lower berths per coach in Sleeper class and 3 lower berths per coach each in AC 3 tier and AC-2 tier classes for Senior Citizens, Female passengers of 45 years of age and above and pregnant women.
- In case- of Rajdhani, Duronto and fully Air Conditioned/Express trains, the number of berths to be earmarked under this quota in 3 AC is 4 lower berths per coach as against 3 lower berths per coach in normal Mail/Express trains.
- After departure of the train, if there are vacant lower berths available in the train and if any person with disability booked on the authority of handicapped concession or a senior citizen or a pregnant woman, who has been allotted upper/middle berth, approaches for allotment of vacant lower berths, the on board Ticket Checking Staff has been authorized to allot the vacant lower berth to them making necessary entries in the chart.
Station Facility for Ladies
- Separate counters are earmarked at various passenger reservation system (PRS) centers for dealing with the reservation requisitions received from person with disability, senior citizens, Ex.MPs, MLAs, female passengers, accredited journalists and freedom fighters, if the average demand per shift not less than 120 tickets.
- In case there is no justification for earmarking of an exclusive counter for any of these categories of persons including female passengers or senior citizens, one or two counters depending upon the total demand are earmarked for dealing with the reservation requests for all these categories of persons.
- At those reservation office which have not been computerized and where separate counters for female passengers are not in existence, female passengers are not required to be compelled to join the general queues and are to be attended separately at the same counter as for general passengers.
- Accommodation is also earmarked for female passengers in the unreserved coach of Mail/Express trains.
- Separate compartments/ Coaches have been earmarked in suburban trains for exclusive use of female passengers.
- Ladies special trains are also run wherever required and feasible.
- Waiting room/halls are earmarked for female passengers at important stations.
- Separate toilets for female passengers are provided as per norms.
2. The issue regarding earmarking of ladies quota in 3AC class of Garib Rath Express trains has been examined and it has been decided to earmark a reservation quota of 6 berths in 3AC class of these trains for exclusive use of female passengers irrespective of their age while travelling alone or in group of female passengers.
3. It has also been decided to modify the logic of utilizing accommodation earmarked under ladies quota as under:-
- Till preparation of first reservation charts, only female passengers will be booked against the quota.
- However, at the time of preparation of first reservation charts, the unutilised quota earmarked for female passengers will be release to waiting list female passengers travelling alone or in group of female passengers followed by waiting list senior citizens.
- If there are no such passengers and berths are left vacant, onboard ticket checking staff shall be authorized to allot this accommodation to any other lady passenger/senior citizen on partially confirmed ticket, if any after making necessary entries in the reservation chart.