Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) Toy Train
The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, nicknamed the “Toy Train”, is a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow-gauge railway from Siliguri to Darjeeling in West Bengal, run by the Indian Railways.It was built between 1879 and 1881 and is about 86 km (53 mi) long. The elevation level is from about 100 m (328 ft) at Siliguri to about 2,200 m (7,218 ft) at Darjeeling. It is still powered by a steam engine. A modern diesel engine is used for Darjeeling’s mail.
Since 1999 the train has been a World Heritage Site as listed by UNESCO. In 2005, UNESCO added the Nilgiri Mountain Railway as an extension to the original inscription.
A standard-gauge railway connected Calcutta (now Kolkata) and Siliguri in 1878.Siliguri, at the base of the Himalayas, was connected to Darjeeling by a cart road (the present day Hill Cart Road) on which “Tonga services” (carriage services) were available.Franklin Prestage, an agent of Eastern Bengal Railway Company approached the government with a proposal of laying a steam tramway from Siliguri to Darjeeling. The proposal was accepted in 1879 following the positive report of a committee formed by Sir Ashley Eden, the Lieutenant Governor of Bengal. Construction started the same year.
Gillanders Arbuthnot and Co. constructed the railway. The stretch from Siliguri to Kurseong was opened on 23 August 1880, while the official opening of the line up to Darjeeling was on 4 July 1881. Several engineering adjustments were made later in order to ease the gradient of the rails. Despite natural calamities such as an earthquake in 1897 and a major cyclone in 1899 the DHR continued to improve with new extension lines, and the passenger, as well as goods carrying, were increasing. DHR started to face competition from bus services that started operating in the Hill Cart Road and took less time than the railway to reach Darjeeling. During World War 2, DHR played a vital role in transporting military personnel and supplies to the numerous camps around Ghum and Darjeeling. After the independence of India, DHR was absorbed in the Indian Railway, and became a part of the Northeast Frontier Railway zone in 1958. In 1962, the line was realigned at Siliguri and extended by nearly 4 miles (6 km) to New Jalpaiguri (NJP) to meet the new broad gauge line there. DHR remained closed for 18 months during the hostile period of Gorkhaland Movement in 1988–1989.DHR was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1999, only the second railway to have this honour bestowed upon it, the first one being Semmering Railway of Austria in 1998.
As of now (Updated : 27.06.2022) there is a daily service between New Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling and 12 Joy Ride services between Darjeeling and Ghum in the DHR. Among these, four Joy Ride services are pulled by steam locomotive while other eight with diesel locomotive. The DHR also introduced special services like Steam Jungle Tea Safari, Red Panda, Him Kanya etc. Charter Trains, Special Film Shooting Trains, Heritage Dining Car are also some attractive services being offered in the DHR. Several initiatives have also been taken for the promotion of DHR in the country and abroad. Darjeeling station is being upgraded with new features like heritage type windows, Kanchenjunga view point etc. Up gradation of Ghum station is also under process. Partnering with stakeholders, tour operators, cultural groups, local population etc. are being done regularly to preserve its conservation and promote heritage value.
- Vista Dome Services in Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Toy Train
- DHR – Train Time Table
- DHR – Fare Details
- DHR – Steam Charter Trains
- DHR – How to Book The Tickets? / How to book Darjeeling Himalayan Railways?
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railway ~ News Updates
Four Diesel Special Joyrides Toy Train Services from 01.03.2023 to 30.06.2023
The Northeast Frontier Railway announced that NFR has decided to operate four Diesel special Joyrides under the toy train service of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) between Darjeeling and Ghum from 1st March, 2023 to 30th June, 2023 on daily basis to fulfil the tourists’ demand. It has also been decided to attach of one extra first class chair car in all joyrides. Train no. 52539/52538 New Jalpaiguri – Darjeeling – New Jalpaiguri AC Special will be cancelled from 1st March to 2nd July, 2023 due to less occupancy.
Running of Diesel Special Joyrides:-
- Train No. 02547 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling) Diesel special Joyride, will depart from Darjeeling at 09:20 hours to reach Ghum at 10:05 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 10:25 hours to reach Darjeeling at 10:55 hours.
- Train No. 02548 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling) Diesel special Joyride, will depart from Darjeelingat 11:25 hours to reach Ghum at 12:10 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 12:30 hours to reach Darjeeling at 13:00 hours.
- Train No. 02549 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling) Diesel special Joyrides, will depart from Darjeelingat 13:25 hours to reach Ghum at 14:10 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 14:35 hours to reach Darjeeling at 15:05 hours.
- Train No. 02550 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling) Diesel special Joyride, will depart from Darjeeling at 15:30 hours to reach Ghum at 16:15 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 16:35 hours to reach Darjeeling at 17:05 hours.
All four Diesel special Joyrides will run with a composition of 03 first class chair car coaches. There will be 30 seats in two coaches and 29 seats in one coach.
Augmentation in Joyrides:-
- One extra first class chair car coach will be attached in Joyrides trains no. 52594, 52596, 52598, 52544 on temporary basis from 1st March to 30th June, 2023. The revised composition of these trains will be 3 first class chair cars and seat capacity will increase by 30 seats.
Joyride train during Ghum Festival at Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
Special Joyride train during Ghum Festival at Darjeeling Himalayan Railway; Continuation of Silchar – Kolkata – Silchar festival special train
North East Frontier Railway announced that to meet the demand of tourist during the upcoming annual Ghum Festival, N. F. Railway has decided to operate an evening service of one special joyride under the toy train service of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. The joyride will run between Darjeeling and Ghum in both directions on every weekend starting from 12th November till 04th December, 2022 for 8 trips in view of upcoming three week-long festival.
Joyride special train no. 02551 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling), will depart from Darjeeling at 18:00 hours to reach Ghum at 18:45 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 19:15 hours to reach Darjeeling at 19:45 hours. The joy ride special will run with a composition of 03 First Class Chair Car. There will be 30 seats each at every first class chair car coach.
Moreover, in a bid to clear extra rush of passenger, it has been decided to continue the running of 05639/05640 (Silchar – Kolkata – Silchar) festival special train for another ten trips with its existing timings, stoppages and composition.
Special train no. 05639 (Silchar – Kolkata) will run for another ten trips leaving from Silchar at 06:00 hours on all Thursdays to reach Kolkata at 13:00 hours on the next day from 10th November, 2022 till 12th January, 2023. In return direction, special train no. 05640 (Kolkata – Silchar) will run for another ten trips leaving from Kolkata at 15:00 hours on all Fridays to reach Silchar at 00:30 hours on Sunday from 11th November, 2022 till 13th January, 2023.
New Tri-weekly AC Passenger train Between New Jalpaiguri – Darjeeling – New Jalpaiguri
The Northeast Frontier Railway has decided to operate a new tri-weekly AC passenger train between New Jalpaiguri – Darjeeling – New Jalpaiguri section of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway in both directions.
- Train No. 52539 New Jalpaiguri – Darjeeling AC passenger train, will depart from New Jalpaiguri at 10:00 hours on all Monday, Wednesday and Saturday w.e.f. 26.09.2022 to reach Darjeeling at 18:30 hours on the same day.
- Train No. 52538 Darjeeling – New Jalpaiguri AC passenger train, will depart from Darjeeling at 09:10 hours on all Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday w.e.f. 27.09.2022 to reach New Jalpaiguri at 16:35 hours on the same day.
Halting and Composition
During its both way journey the AC passenger train will have stoppages at Siliguri Jn, Sukna, Rongtong, Tindharia, Gayabari, Mahanadi, Kurseong, Tung, Sonada and Ghum stations. It will run with 01 AC vistadome coach consisting of 15 seats and 01 AC restaurant cum power car consisting of 08 seats.
Darjeeling – Ghum : Four New Special Joy Rides from 01st of October to 31st of December, 2022
The Northeast Frontier Railway has decided to operate four new special joy rides under the toy train service of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) during the ensuing festive season. The joy rides will run between Darjeeling and Ghum in both directions on daily basis commencing from 01st of October to 31st of December, 2022 in view of upcoming peak festive season.
- Train No. 02547 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling) joy ride special, will depart from Darjeeling at 09:20 hours to reach Ghum at 10:05 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 10:25 hours to reach Darjeeling at 10:55 hours.
- Train No. 02548 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling) joy ride special, will depart from Darjeeling at 11:25 hours to reach Ghum at 12:10 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 12:30 hours to reach Darjeeling at 13:00 hours.
- Train No. 02549 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling) joy ride special, will depart from Darjeeling at 13:25 hours to reach Ghum at 14:10 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 14:35 hours to reach Darjeeling at 15:05 hours.
- Train No. 02550 (Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling) joy ride special, will depart from Darjeeling at 15:30 hours to reach Ghum at 16:15 hours. on its return journey the train will depart from Ghum at 16:35 hours to reach Darjeeling at 17:05 hours.
All the joy ride special will run with a composition of 03 First Class Chair Car. There will be 30 seats each at every first class chair car coach.The details of stoppages and timings of these trains are available at IRCTC website and through NTES and are also being notified in various newspapers and social media platforms of N.F. Railway. Passengers are requested to verify the details before undertaking their journey.
New Joyride train services launched in DHR Upto 03.06.2022
In view of rise in flow of tourists during peak season, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) of Northeast Frontier Railway has introduced two (02) new special Joyride trains for tourists to have an experience of riding joyride services which is in an UNESCO World Heritage site. The new Joyride train services are available for tourists to travel between Darjeeling and Ghum stations daily on round trip basis. The services will remain operational up to 30th June, 2022 to meet the tourist demand.
Among the new joyride services, train No. 02550 Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling special joyride departs from Darjeeling at 09.40 hours to reach Ghum at 10.20 hours. The train leaves Ghum at 10.45 hours to arrive Darjeeling at 11.22 hours. Another train No. 02549 Darjeeling – Ghum – Darjeeling special joyride departs from Darjeeling at 16.05 hours to reach Ghum at 16.45 hours. The train leaves Ghum at 17.15 hours to arrive Darjeeling at 17.45 hours. These trains have 3 first class chair car coaches each for tourists and the trains are being hauled by diesel locos.
With these new services, currently there are 12 numbers of joyride services available in DHR section for tourists. Among these trains – train No. 52594/52591/02547/52596/52597/02548/52598/52599/52544/52590 are in operational daily between Darjeeling and Ghum stations. one pair of passenger train (No. 52541/52540) services is also available for tourists which are running between New Jalpaiguri – Darjeeling – New Jalpaiguri.
The tourists can plan to ride and visit the DHR by taking a joyride amidst the breathtaking hilly landscape of the Himalayas. Railway wishes a pleasurable experience for the tourists of DHR.
Vista Dome Services in Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Toy Train
Vista Dome Services in Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Toy Train started, details are here.
DHR – Train Time Table
Train services over Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR)
- On-demand Jungle Safari
- Round Trip from Siliguri to Tindharia
- Departure at 10:30 and return at 15:20
- Diesel Hauled Jungle Safari Special train on demand on a round trip basis from Siliguri Junction to Tindharia via Rongtong and back to Siliguri Junction. This train passes through the magnificent Mahananda Wild Life Sanctuary and section having Chunbhatti loop and three Z-reverses, the technical innovation in that era to attract tourists traveling in groups, schools, institutions.
- Evening Safari Special Train
- Steam Loco Hauled Evening Safari Special train on a round trip basis from Siliguri Junction to Rongtong and back to Siliguri Junction. This train passes through the magnificent Mahananda Wild Life Sanctuary with Heritage NG Steam loco & Heritage Dining car ( Tenzing Norgay) in the evening. Passengers can visit Sukna photo gallery during a stoppage at Sukna for watering.
- The train runs daily from SGUJ at 14:45 hrs, SN 15:20 hrs, and RTG at 16:00 hrs.
- Return journey from RTG at 16:35, SN 17:10 hrs and SGUJ at 17:45 hrs.
- Joy Ride
- Daily-Round trip from Darjeeling to Ghum
- Our popular ride from Darjeeling to nearby Ghum passes a number of well-known Darjeeling sights and attractions as it climbs fearsome 1 in 20 gradients and loops over itself to gain height. The train will stop at Batasia Loop for 10 minutes for passengers to admire the view and then at Ghum for 30 minutes for the DHR Railway Museum. Entry to the museum is included in the fare.
|Train No.||Joy Ride||Dept.||Arrv.||From & To||Class|
- Passenger Train
|Train No.||Train Name||Days||Departure||From||To||Arrival||Class|
|52541||NJP-DJ||Daily||10:00||New Jalpaiguri||Darjeeling||17:20||FC & AC|
|52540||DJ-NJP||Daily||08:00||Darjeeling||New Jalpaiguri||15:15||FC & AC|
|Daily||06:30||Kurseong||Darjeeling||09:05||FC & SC|
|52588||Daily||16:00||Darjeeling||Kurseong||18:40||FC & SC|
DHR – Fare Details
IRCTC announced on 02.12.2021 that all the Darjeeling joyride trains from DJ to GHUM are round trip and passengers need not pay any additional charges for the round trip.
DHR – Steam Charter Trains
Booking a Steam-Charter is very easy now. All you have to do send an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to us to confirm the availability of dates. you may get in touch with officials for payment and further details.
CHARTERING OF TRAIN IN DHR
North East Frontier Railway announced that Chartering of narrow gauge trains in Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) is gaining popularity. This facility is ideal to celebrate small functions on World Heritage site. Since the introduction of the Chartered Trains in DHR section, N. F. Railway is gaining good response from tourists. N. F. Railway is operating several joy-rides hauled by diesel and heritage steam engines through scenic beauty of the tea gardens and breath-taking view of Himalayan hill areas. Tourist can enjoy on train services while making celebrations riding through the unique services of chartered trains provided by DHR.
Any individuals, tour operators, corporate house, hotel agency, foreign tourist can book the charter train by placing demand through online or offline. Interested parties can book the train either for single trip or round trip as per their choice of routes.
Steam or Diesel engine hauled trains can be chartered with one or two first class coaches or as per demand on pre-defined circuit like- New Jalpaiguri – Rongtong, Siliguri Jn.- Tindharia, Tindharia – Kurseong , Kurseong – Darjeeling and Siliguri Jn – Kurseong.
Interested parties either can directly contact to office of Director/DHR, or visit to https://dhr.indianrailways.gov.in/ or Station Master of DHR section for charter.
DHR – How to Book The Tickets? / How to book Darjeeling Himalayan Railways?
QR-code Based Ticketing for DHR Toy Trains Details
QR-code based ticketing system launched for DHR Toy trains; Tourists in DHR can now book tickets on the Paytm app
North East Frontier Railway announced that in another step towards tourist-friendly digital initiative, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) of Northeast Frontier Railway has become partner with digital payment platform Paytm. DHR and Paytm in a strategic partnership has launched QR-code based ticketing system on 2nd November, 2021 for joyrides. Tourists in DHR can now book tickets for the Toy trains on the Paytm app for their journey.
With this, DHR has now become the 1st of Toy train operator in India to enable digital ticketing systems.
It may be mentioned that DHR is running numerous Toy train rides namely Jungle Tea Safari, New Jalpaiguri- Darjeeling passenger train and Red Panda to promote tourism in the DHR.In order to rejuvenate the tourism industry in Darjeeling, DHR is also organizing Ghum Festival from 13th November to 5th December, 2021.This new service would give commuters the option to travel seamlessly and avoid long queues to buy tickets for Toy trains operated by the DHR. They can now simply purchase digital tickets on their Paytm app, and proceed for the journey.
Paytm digital ticketing system will enable commuters to book tickets without being physically present at the railway stations.
Steps To Take the Tickets via QR Code
- Tourists have to open their Paytm app
- Then Enter the date of journey.
- Then has to select the type of train and schedule and make payment to receive the digital ticket with PNR number.
- Tourists passengers can display the digital ticket to the Ticket Collector to commence their journey.
This system will lead to reduce the ticket booking time and will also be of great help in maintaining social distancing in these times.
Online and Offline Booking Details
Passengers can book ticket by simply visiting your nearest Computerized Reservation Counter in India OR you can log in www.irctc.co.in for online booking. If you do not have the opportunity to book, never mind, just drop in DHR station and know how to book your ticket or call at +91 900 20 41905/ +91 900 20 41955.
Steam Charter Trains
Enjoy Steam Train Charter on selected sections in DHR ! Booking a Steam-Charter is very easy now. All you have to do send an e-mail at email@example.com. dhroffice.kurseong@ gmail. com to confirm the availability of DATES. you may get in touch with officials for payment and further details. For further details please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org
Joy Ride Trains (Darjeeling-Ghum and Back)
Tickets for Joy Train are available at Passenger Reservation System (PRS) Network of Indian Railways, and at Darjeeling Railway Station ( For Joy Rides) : Contact at : +91 354-2252555,+91 900 20 41905/ +91 900 20 41955.
Jungle Safari Special (Siliguri Jn.-Gayabari & Back)
Tickets are available at Siliguri Junction Station : Contact No: +91 353-2517246/ +91 353-2510017, +91 900 20 41905/ +91 900 20 41955.For booking in weekdays a group of 30 persons (minimum) is necessary. Individuals may approach local tour operators at Siliguri for bookings or e-mail at email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway ~ News Updates
STEAM JUNGLE TEA SAFARI’ LAUNCHED BY N. F. RAILWAY GAINING POPULARITY AMONGST TOURIST
The Northeast Frontier Railway announced via press release on 13.09.2021 that Railway has introduced a new service namely “Steam Jungle Tea Safari” between Siliguri Junction and Rongtong station section on the UNESCO World Heritage site – Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR). This Steam hauled Toy Train service was started from 30th August, 2021 to fulfil the demands of tourists and to also promote the local tourism sector.
The “Steam Jungle Tea Safari” toy train service has been planned to run on regular basis depending on demand. It is provided with the facilities of Vistadome coach and hauled by heritage steam engine. The Toy Train travels through scenic beauty of the tea gardens apart from breathtaking views of lower Himalayan hills. Tourists can enjoy the on train services while making celebrations by riding through the unique “Steam Jungle Tea Safari”. There are provisions of 14 passengers in the Vistadome coach. However additional coach can also be attached depending on demands.
The train (No. 52556) provides up – down evening services leaving from Siliguri junction at 14-45 hours to reach Rongtong at 16-20 hours. In return journey, the train departs from Rongtong at 16-40 hours to reach Siliguri junction at 18-05 hours. The train has stoppage at Sukna station during both way journey. Interested tourists can also make a visit to the museum at Sukna station. During this three-hour journey, tourists can enjoy the flavour of the world famous Darjeeling tea.
Since the introduction of this Toy Train, N. F. Railway is getting good response from tourists. This unique “Steam Jungle Tea Safari” is an ideal way to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and get-togethers on a UNESCO World Heritage site.N. F. Railway is hopeful to attract more and more tourists and promote the tourism industry in the region in coming days.
UNESCO has launched a stamp on Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
UNESCO has launched a stamp on Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. Among a few world heritage sites, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway attracts tourists from all over the world.
Shooting Program at The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
Now plan and fix your shooting program at the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with just clicks of the mouse
Online Portal of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) shooting permission
For getting shooting permission in Darjeeling Himalayan Railway click here :- Online Portal of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) shooting permission