Train Ticket Rules for Children
Indian Railway’s ✅ Child Fare Rules in Trains including booking of reserved tickets and unreserved tickets are following.
- Child Fare Rules by Railway
- Issue of Reserved Ticket for Children with No Berth Option
- 50% Concession for Students in 5-12 years age group
- Baby Berth Introduced in Trains
Child Fare Rules by Railway
Press Release 2022 ~ Free travel is allowed for children below 5 years, if no berth is booked
Commercial Circular 2020 : Child Fare Rules by Railway
Indian Railway announced various rules regarding child fare in trains, but on 06.03.2020 Railway released a circular regarding child fare, it’s a consolidated instruction on child fare rule in trains. Railway Circular regarding Chile Fare Rule attached.
Commercial Circular 2018 : Issue of Reserved Ticket for single child or group of children between the age of 5 years and below 12 years with no berth option
Commercial Circular 2017 : No berth option for Child passenger and minimum distance for charge in such cases
Commercial Circular 2015 : Revision in the Rule 211 of IRCA Coaching Tariff No. 26 Part I (Vol. I)- Fare for children 2015
Child Fare Rules for Un-Reserved Ticket Booking
- Boys under 12 years of age are allowed in the ladies compartment with relatives or friends.
- Fare for children of 5-12 years for unreserved tickets shall continue to be half of the adult fare subject to the minimum distance for charging.
- Children under five years of age will continue to be carried free (without berth).
Issue of Reserved Ticket for Children with No Berth Option
Issue of Reserved Ticket for Single Child or Group of Children between the age of 5 years and below 12 years with no Berth Option
- Full adult fare will be charged for children of age 5 years and under 12 years of age if for whom berth/seat (in reserved class) is sought at the time of reservation.
- However, in case berth/seat is not sought for the children of age 5 years and under 12 years of age at the time of reservation, then half of the adult fare shall continue to be charged subject to the minimum distance for charging.
- Children under 5 years of age will be provided food in Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express trains without any charge. Train Fare Details
Counter Tickets/e-tickets with no seat/berth option (NOSB) may be issued by linking it with PNR of parent/guardians/attendants subject to the following terms and conditions.
- Child NOSB e-ticket can be booked through link provided in booked ticket history at parent PNR
- Child NOSB PNR shall automatically be linked to parent PNR when booked.
- Only one NOSB PNR shall be linked to parent PNR
- Vikalp opted PNR shall not be allowed for child NOSB booking
- Child NOSB PNR shall also not be allowed to opt for Vikalp
- Number of NOSB berth shall be equal to or less than number of adults in a single PNR ticket (of the parent)
- Child NOSB booking shall not be permitted in CC, EC, 2S, EA classes.
- Child NOSB PNR can be cancelled independently and the refund rules for child NOSB would apply.
- Parent linked PNR, if cancelled, child NOSB PNR shall also be cancelled.
- If parent PNR is dropped, child PNR will automatically get cancelled along with parent PNR
- Child NOSB PNR is not valid for travel without Parent PNR.
50% Concession for Students in 5-12 years age group
ONLY HALF of ADULT FARE Chargeable for CHILDREN between 5 – 12 years if Berth is not Opted at the time of RESERVATION
Northern Railway announced that, it is notified for the information of general public that Railways have decided , that in case , no berth is opted for the children of age of 5 years and under 12 years of age at the time of reservation , minimum distance for charge shall not be applicable.
In such cases, only half of the applicable adult fare shall be charged. In other cases, minimum distance for charge provision shall continue as earlier. The Indian Railways has already implemented this decision since 01.05.2017.