Buddhist Tourist Train Mahaparinirvan Express
Buddhist tourist train Mahaparinirvan Express is a famous IRCTC Train which got its name from Buddha’s final explanation of his teachings the Mahaparinirvana Sutra. It takes passengers on a journey which teaches them and helps them embrace both the roots and learning of Buddhism. It came into existence by modifying the carriages of an Air-Conditioned Rajdhani Express sleeper train.
- Mahaparinirvan Express: Accommodation/ Cabins
- Mahaparinirvan Express: Tour Itinerary
- Mahaparinirvan Express: Fare/Cancellation Details
- About Buddhist Train
Mahaparinirvan Express: Accommodation/ Cabins
Mahaparinirvan Express: Accommodation
- The train stops at specific destinations where hotel rooms are available to passengers. They are only for a limited them and passengers must not expect to do anything other than wash and change.
- Drinking water and tea are available in short intervals free of charge with a world-class kitchen to sate your hunger pangs with sumptuous food.
Mahaparinirvan Express: Cabins
Mahaparinirvan Special Train offers three types of cabins. One is the cabin with one lower and one upper sleeper berth with sliding door that can be locked from inside and the second is a cabin with both lower berths with a sliding door that can be locked from the inside.
It offers three different classes of travel: first class, two-tier and three-tier. Details of the 2nd Sleeper, 1st AC Sleeper and 1st AC Sleeper in the Mahaparinirvan express.
- Mahaparinirvan Express: 2nd AC Sleeper
- In the 2nd AC Sleeper, there are curtains available for limited privacy. Two lower and two upper berths are on the inside, and one lower and one upper berth are on the outside.
- Mahaparinirvan Express: 1st AC Sleeper
- In this cabin of Mahaparinirvan Express, there are two lower berths and two upper berths with a sliding door that can be locked from the inside.
- Mahaparinirvan Express: 1st AC Sleeper Exclusive Cabin
- There are limited seats on offer with one lower and one upper berth with a sliding door that can be locked from the inside.
In the Mahaparinirvana sutra, the Buddha tells his followers that
Mahaparinirvan Express: Tour Itinerary
- Mahaparinirvan Special Train departs from Safdarjung Railway Station after the staff has ensured that all passengers on board are seated.
- Tea and dinner are served on board.
- It arrives at Gaya in the morning where tourist can visit temples, stupas, monasteries and other foundations of Buddhist culture.
- Mahabodhi temple and Niranjana rivers are not to be missed, a brief stay in the hotel is provided at night along with dinner.
- The Mahaparinirvan Special Train then heads to Rajgir and Nalanda to explore monuments which tell a story of greed, humility, self-learning and redemption. Bimbisara Jail, Gridhakuta Hill, Venuvan, Nalanda Ruins and University have so much history and artifacts that teach lessons about Buddhism which one cannot miss.
- Dinner and overnight stay are on board when the train departs for Kushinagar where Buddha preached his first sermon and guided disciples who converted his sayings into scriptures and inscriptions.
- Mahaparinirvan temple, Rambhar Stupa, Mata Kutir Temple are all places which give off a peaceful vibe that makes one embrace the calming spirit of Buddhism.
- Dinner and tea are provided on board as the train departs for Buddha’s birthplace Lumbini.
- Lunch is organized in the hotel after which the guide will take you to Maya Devi Temple, Ashokan Pillar and Pushkarini lake for a fantastic time.
- Mahaparinirvan express will take you near the town of Sravasti to Gonda railway station from where you can take the bus to the hotel for breakfast and some wash and change time.
- The city has preserved the teachings of Buddhism, and it is evident in the way of life, Jetvan vihar, Pakki Kuti and Sehat Maher Thai Temple are the prime destinations which embody the ascetic nature of Buddhist life and have stupas, inscriptions and artifacts for tourists to marvel.
- After exploring Sravasti have dinner on board as the train heads to Agra to explore the magnificent Taj Mahal and the iconic Agra fort before heading back to Delhi.
Mahaparinirvan Express: Fare/Cancellation Details
Mahaparinirvan Express fare is not at all expensive considering the number of destination it covers along with the tour guide it offers to make people aware of the information they won’t be privy to by themselves. The Mahaparinirvan Express Fare includes monuments entrance fees and the sightseeing organized in AC buses. Below are the fares according to classes:
|Per Person In||For Indian National||For Foreign National|
|1st AC Sleeper (3 other people)||76,800 rupees||1155 Dollars|
|2nd AC Sleeper|
|62,800 rupees||945 Dollars|
- USD 150 Per Pax for confirmed 2 berth cabin in AC First Class for Full/Partial Tour.
- USD 200 Per Pax for single occupancy in hotel for entire tour or USD 50 per stay.
- USD 580 Per Pax (full/Partial) would be applicable for confirmed allocation of one lower berth only in a 2 seater first class cabin. Upper berth would not be allocated to other passengers.
- USD 580 Per Pax (Full/Partial) would be applicable for confirmed allocation of two lower berths only in a 4 seater first class cabin. Two Upper berths would not be allocated to other passengers.
- All rates are on per person per journey on twin sharing basis.
- In case of Single Occupancy, Supplementary charges shall be payable.
- Rates subject to change in case of any change or amendment in the routing, itineraries, inclusion etc.
- Packages rates are inclusive of GST.
- For Child Policy and other details, website
- Itineraries and scheduled departures are subject to approval from Ministry of Railways and may change without prior notice.
|No. of days before commencement of Trip*||Total Deductions|
|45 Days and above(excluding departure date)||10% of the Package cost.|
|Within a period of 44 to 15 Days (excluding departure date)||25% of the package cost|
|Within a period of 14 to 7 Days (excluding of Departure Date)||50% of the package cost|
|Within the period of 7 Days or before the scheduled date of departure||100% of the package cost|
|*Excluding the day of start of journey.|
About Buddhist Train
With a view to continually heighten our offerings, the IRCTC Buddhist Circuit Tourist Train was envisioned for covering the most venerable sites of Buddhism, following the life path of the Enlightened One, the Buddha, himself.
His birth place, Lumbini, lies across the India-Nepal border, yet the IRCTC Buddhist Circuit Tourist Train itinerary enables all guests to pay their respects at the holy site in addition to the Mayadevi temple, dedicated to the Enlightened One’s mother. The Buddha’s moment of enlightenment, enshrined for eternity under the Maha Bodhi Tree at Bodh Gaya, occupies an important place in the itinerary, as much for its religious & scholarly significance as for the monumental beauty of its confluence of Buddhist traditions from all over the world.
Please find below some general information to assist you with your planning for your journey aboard TO BUDDHIST CIRCUIT TOURIST TRAIN.
- Buddhist Train’ dining Car : Buddhist Train has two fine dining restaurants that seat 54 persons each and everyone on board dines together.
- Visas : Passengers should be in possession of valid travel documents and a valid visa granted by Indian Missions abroad for entering India.
- Those arriving in India without visas bearing the correct validity dates and number of entries into India are subject to deportation.
- For Foreign nationals holding Tourist Visas with a stay stipulation of 180 days / 90 days and with a multiple entry facility; there should be a gap of at least 2 months between two visits to the country on this visa.
- In case there is a requirement to visit the country within two months, permission should be sought from the Head of Mission concerned indicating the specific reasons for another visit within a short period.
- Pre & post hotel accommodation : It is highly recommended that you take a minimum of one pre and post night accommodation with your rail journey. Bookings and reservations can be made by contacting us at irctcbuddhisttrain.com.
- Customs : Customs regulations are in line with those prevailing elsewhere in the world; however, the import of prohibited items carries serious penalties. Please note that it is the responsibility of each passenger to ensure that they are in possession of any necessary and valid documentation and the Company assumes no responsibility for the consequences of any failure to apply.
- Personal travel insurance : At Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd. (IRCTC), guest safety and holiday enjoyment are very important. Therefore, travel insurance is essential; indeed it is a condition of booking with us that passengers have adequate travel insurance cover from the country of domicile for injury, illness, death, accident, loss of effects or luggage and holiday cancellation. Guests must supply IRCTC with the name, address and telephone number of the insurers, policy number and the 24-hour medical emergency telephone number. Any pre-existing medical conditions must be declared to the insurer and to us; failure to do so may invalidate your Travel Insurance Policy.
- Embarkation & disembarkation : Guests are required to check-in at least 1 hour prior to departure at Delhi Safdarjung Railway Station for pre-boarding formalities. Final details will be provided in the travel documents and vouchers which will be e-mailed or handed over to you approximately 14 days prior to departure.
- Boarding Formalities : Following completion of boarding formalities, you will be escorted to your cabin and assisted with your luggage.
- On your final night on board, the Train Manager will assist with disembarkation formalities which include luggage and clearance of extras.
Note: Due to any unforeseen delays owing to foggy weather conditions prevailing in northern parts during Dec-Jan period and due to any railway delays guests are requested to plan their post disembarkation onward journey having sufficient intermittent time.
Accommodation in AC-1 & AC-2 class in train, double/twin bedded accommodation in hotels, all meals, guided off train excursions as illustrated in the journeys inclusive of entrance fees, transport and services of a guide, complimentary tea, coffee and mineral water on board, porterage at stations.
Any optional tours as mentioned in the itinerary, taxes, insurance, gratuities, telephone calls, laundry, alcoholic beverages, video, film and professional still camera fees and arrival and departure transfers. International and domestic air tickets, pre and post tour accommodation and any tour extensions are not included unless specifically mentioned as part of the journeys.
- Travel documents : Travel Documents, which are valid only for the passenger(s) named, will be issued after receipt of full payment for your reservation and not normally later than 14 days prior to departure. Please carry your confirmation of booking with you on departure.
- Clothing & travel accessories : Recommended Clothing: Lightweight cottons and linens throughout the summer and most winter days; with warm clothes for December and January and winter nights.
- Please include light sweaters and light wraps for the cold mornings and evenings, It is advisable to carry sunscreen, caps / hats and sunglasses.
- Please note that with the change in weather, we recommend enough woollens while on tour.
- Please note that for the journeys between mid of December till mid of January, the Northern India witnesses severe cold and fog, therefore it is recommended to carry heavy woollen during this period.
- Currency & money exchange : India’s currency is the Rupee, abbreviated as Rs. which is divided into 100 paisa. The Rupee notes come in denominations of Rs.5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, & Rs.2000. Coins are in denominations of rupee 1, 2, 5 and 10.
- Foreign Exchange encashments are regulated in India. Any passenger bringing Foreign Exchange in excess of USD 5000 or its equivalent in currency notes and an aggregate total of USD 10,000 and above are required to declare the same at the port of entry in India. Please note that changing money in remote areas can be difficult and hence please change with authorized money changers or banks. Please take care not to accept damaged notes or notes with tapes attached as these are not accepted. It is always advisable to carry smaller denomination instead of Rs.2000 note as it is not easy to obtain change.
Note: Please contact your Guest Relations Manager on Board for special facilities provided to guests for their Foreign Exchange encashment.
- Smoking policy : In accordance with Indian Law, smoking is not permissible on board the train. Smoking is also prohibited in all public places such as restaurants, airports, stations, shopping malls, hotels, public areas etc.
- Special meals / dietary requirement / medical conditions : In case of any special dietary requirement or allergies, guests should mention the same at the time of booking and to the chef/Train Manager on Board. Our Chef shall endeavour to accommodate these as far as possible. Guests with dust related allergies are advised to carry their prescribed medication / inhalers on the journey.
- Emergencies : IRCTC requires the details of the ground handler, the place of stay before and after the journey on the Buddhist Train, so that we can contact the ground handler in case of any emergencies.
- Porters : Porters will be available at all embarkation and disembarkation stations to assist you with your luggage.
- Electricity : Voltage available on the train is 110 volts. International adaptors are also available on board.
- Off train excursions : Since most of our Off Train Excursions involve a fair amount of walking, we recommend you pack some comfortable walking shoes. A moderate degree of physical fitness is required to participate on our off train excursions. You may encounter unpaved sidewalks, uneven surfaces and problems getting on and off the train.
- Travellers with walking difficulties or any such physical condition should inform us at the time of booking. We reserve the right to refuse participation on any of our excursions to anyone who would be incapable of completing the tour or would cause unacceptable delays to the rest of the group. In these circumstances there would be no refund for any unused part of the tour.
- Guides : On all off train excursions, you will be accompanied by professional and qualified English speaking guides. There’s no substitute for a little local flavour, so we employ experienced local guides who provide an invaluable and in-depth view of the sights that you visit. Language speaking guides can be provided at select destinations, subject to availability. Please let us know of your requirement at the time of booking.
- Health : No specific vaccinations are required for travel to India currently. However, the latest advisory in this regard may kindly be checked before departure. Foreign tourists should be in possession of a Yellow Fever Vaccination certificate conforming to international health regulations, if they are originating or travelling through Yellow Fever endemic countries. Anti-malaria precautions should be taken. It is also advisable to carry sufficient insect repellent.
- It is recommended that a physician be consulted for any personal health advice based on the travel itinerary. If under prescription medication, it is advisable to carry enough supplies to last for the duration of the trip.
- It is recommended that guests carry their own medicines, since all medications in India are locally manufactured and the same brand names may not be available.
Note : Please specify any ailments at the time of booking and update the Guest Relations Manager of the same while boarding.
- Luggage allowance : There is limited storage space inside the cabins. We recommend that each guest travels with luggage as per an international airline guidelines for first and business class passengers. It is also advisable to carry soft-topped luggage as it is easier to store.
- Luggage storage is provided under the bed. If there is any extra luggage, it can be stored in the luggage hold, which is located in a separate cabin. It is advisable to lock your luggage with locks.
- Cell phones : Kindly keep your Cell Phone on silent mode on board the train out of consideration for your fellow passengers and also while visiting certain monuments on your Off Train Excursions. Please also note that the use of cell phones and laptop computers is discouraged in all the public areas and should be used in the privacy of your cabin.
- Cell phone reception : The reception can vary while the train is moving, but does improve when the train is stationary or near large cities.
- Train manager : Train Manager will be available in the train throughout the journey. For special requests / problems / tour information, you may contact him.
- Placement of train on platform at stations : After de-boarding of the guests at the stations Buddhist Train moves to the yard for fuelling and watering. Hence, timings as advised at the time of de-boarding should be followed to avoid any inconvenience. In case any guest decides to return to the train before the advised boarding time, he/she should contact the Train Manager to check the availability of the Buddhist Train on the platform.
- Expectation from guest : Passengers are advised to be punctual and to adhere to the prescribed timings. IRCTC will not delay departures or make provisions for late arrivals. In case any services are missed due to the late arrival of the guests, IRCTC shall not provide alternate services and shall not make any refunds for the same. The guests are expected to follow the tour to avoid any confusion. Prior information should be given to Train Manager if the guest wants to leave the group/train for personal visits/tours. Guests who repeatedly fail to follow the tour may be asked to leave the tour to avoid inconvenience to the other guests and the management.
- Minimum passenger requirement : All our journeys require a minimum number of passengers to operate. Should this not be accomplished, we will offer you an alternate departure date or an alternate journey or a refund. In the unlikely eventuality of this occurring, 30 days advance intimation can be given.
- Charters : The Buddhist Train can be chartered to corporate companies, agencies and individuals worldwide for incentives, conferences, weddings or any other exclusive event.
- Child Policy : Buddhist Train does accommodate children but we ask parents to be mindful of the sophisticated adult atmosphere we endeavour to maintain.
- Children below 5 years shall be allowed free, subject to sharing of berth with parents.
- Single child (5 years – 12 years) – 50% of the adult fare, subject to sharing of double bed with parents.
- All applicable taxes will be charged extra.
Official Website :- Mahaparinirvan Express
- Kolkata Suburban Tourist Train Tickets
- Mumbai Suburban Tourist Train Tickets
- Chennai Suburban Tourist Train Tickets