Bio Toilets & Green Corridor by Indian Railway
Bio-Toilet and Green Corridor by Indian Railways is an innovative and indigenous development of technology and help Railway to full fill its commitment to provide hygienic environment to passengers and to keep station premises/tracks clean.
Beginning with the introduction of 57 bio-toilets in Gwalior-Varanasi Bundelkhand Express in January 2011, Indian Railways has provided more than 2 lakes bio-toilets in its coaches till August 2019. The Bio-toilet project is very much aligned with ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’. Further details are following.
Technology for Bio-toilets
The technology for Bio-toilets has been innovated, designed and is ‘Made in India’. The environment-friendly technology has been developed jointly by Indian Railways (IR) and Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) for railway passenger coaches through an MoU.
- Bio -Toilets technology is first of its kind being used by any railroad in the world for On-board accelerated digestion of human waste.
- These bio-toilets are fitted underneath the lavatories and the human waste discharged into them is acted upon by a colony of anaerobic bacteria that convert human waste mainly into water and small amount of bio-gases.
- The gases escape into atmosphere and waste water is discharged after chlorination onto the track.
Salient Features of Bio Toilets
- Help to improving cleanliness and hygiene at platforms by preventing discharge of Human waste into the railway tracks.
- Bio -Toilets facilitate track and coaches maintenance staff to perform their work more efficiently.
- Bio – Toilets is one example where the technology developed for defence applications has been utilised for civilian purpose.
- The success of this project largely depends on the co-operation of passengers by not throwing any in-organic material like paper, bottles, paper/ plastic cups, polythene, napkins, nappies, cloth, ghutka pouches, cigarette/ bidi buds etc. in toilet pans/ bowls.
If you have any complaint related to Toilets, you can lodge your complaint here :- Rail MADAD APP for Complaint and Suggestion
Green Corridor Section : Indian Railway
This is also a part of Go Green Mission of Indian Railway programme.This is an appreciable contribute to mission ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ launched by Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi. Providing human discharge free bio-toilets in all its coaches
First Green Train Corridor of Indian Railway : Rameswaram and Manamadurai
Indian Railway introduced first Green Train Corridor of Indian Railway between Rameswaram and Manamadurai i.e free from human waste discharge,
Green Corridor Inaugurated : Okha – Kanalus and Porbandar-Wansjaliya Sections
Railway announced through a press release on 19.10.2016 that “Okha-Kanalus and Porbandar – Wansjaliya Sections in Gujarat of Western Railways as Green Corridor Sections (Free from human waste discharge from trains).