Amazon Consignments via Indian Railway
Indian Railways started a pilot project, allowing e-commerce consignments on its EMU services in non-peak hours, railway announced through a press release. As a part of innovative pilot project, carrying of e-commerce consignment of Amazon in EMU services commenced from Sealdah to Dankuni in EMU local (suburban services) managed by Eastern Railways. The pilot project is initially for a period of three months where total 7 MT of consignment per day has been allowed to be carried. This pilot project of booking consignments in EMU service is the first of its kind in Indian Railways.
- The rate chargeable is that of Luggage Rate (Scale L – highest scale) i.e. ✅ ₹ 5537/- per day.
- The consignment is allowed to be carried in vendor compartment along with other vendors in ✅ non-peak hours (i.e. 11.00 hrs to 16.00 hrs.), thus causing no disruption/inconvenience to the existing system.
- This project is to benefit both Railways and e-commerce company M/s. Amazon.
- Railway will be benefitted through generation of revenue without putting any additional stress or burden on existing system whereas Amazon will be benefitted through reduced transit time.
- The route viz. Sealdah to Dankuni was preferred by M/s. Amazon for quick movement of their consignment to the existing facility at Dankuni. Upon success of the pilot project, other routes may also be taken up by Amazon and other e-commerce companies may also be interested.
Coronavirus : Special Parcel Trains by Railway
COVID19 :- Kalyan-Hazrat Nizamuddin parcel train to leave on 8.4.2020. Parcel loaders and e-commerce companies avail this train service for your despatch.