Role of Aadhaar in Indian Railway
Here we can check what is the role of Aadhar Card for train ticket in Indian Railway including e-Aadhaar, m-Aadhaar for ticket booking, concession etc.
- Aadhar Centre at Railway Station
- E-Aadhaar / M- Aadhaar
- Book Up to 24 Tickets in a Month by Linking Aadhaar
- Withdrawal of Implementation of Aadhaar based Ticketing System for PRS Tickets for Senior Citizens
Aadhar Centre at Railway Station
Aadhar Enrolment and Update Centre at Railway Station is made operational Railway station, Zone wise details are attached.
South Western Railway : Aadhar Seva Kendra
South Western Railway announced that Aadhar Seva Kendra available at concourse area of KSR Bengaluru Station from 10am to 5 pm (Except Sunday). Passengers are requested to utilise the services.
Central Railway : Aadhaar Counters at Railways stations of Central Railway
Central Railway announced that CR is taking a new step in digital India movement by introducing Aadhaar counters at railway stations of Central Railway. It is being done in coordination with UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India). The trained railway staff will man the Aadhaar updation counters. Indian citizens can avail the facility of getting new Aadhaar or updation of existing Aadhaar. New Aadhaar enrollment and mandatory Aadhaar update (biomatric for children etc.) facilities will be available for free and other optional updates like mobile number update, address change will be charged at Rs 50/-. The facility has been started at Pune station w.e.f. 15.08.2022 and will be provided at other major stations like CSMT, Nagpur gradually.
North East Frontier Railway : Aadhar Enrolment Centre
Aadhar Enrolment Centre at Guwahati Railway Station of North East Frontier Railway
Book Up to 24 Tickets in a Month by Linking Aadhaar
Indian Railways increases the limit of online booking of tickets through IRCTC Website/App ~ 06.06.20202
Indian Railway announced via press release that to facilitate passengers, Indian Railways has decided to increase the limit of booking maximum 6 tickets in a month to 12 tickets by a user ID which is not Aadhaar linked and the limit of booking maximum 12 tickets in a month to 24 tickets by a user ID which is Aadhaar linked and that one of the passengers in the ticket to be booked is verifiable through Aadhaar.
At present, maximum 6 tickets in a month can be booked online on IRCTC website/app by a user ID which is not Aadhaar linked and maximum 12 tickets in a month can be booked online on IRCTC website/app by a user ID which is Aadhaar linked and that one of the passengers in the ticket to be booked is verifiable through Aadhaar.
Aadhaar Verified Booking
Book Upto 24 tickets in a month by linking Aadhaar
Book Up To 12 Tickets In A Month By Linking Aadhaar
Indian Railway announced that now users are allowed to book upto 12 tickets in a month, if users get themselves verified through their Aadhaar number along with at least one passenger also being verified through Aadhaar Card.
- No Aadhaar Verification required for booking up to 6 tickets in a month, as earlier.
- Existing facility of booking upto 6 tickets (without Aadhaar) in a month continues.
Steps to avail the facility of booking more than 6 tickets and up to 12 tickets in a month:
- IRCTC Registered User is required to get himself Aadhaar Card verified using Aadhaar KYC option in My Profile.
- User’s Aadhaar will be verified by sending an OTP on his mobile number linked with his Aadhaar number. On successful submission of OTP, user will become Aadhaar verified.
- At least One (1) passenger on the ticket being booked, beyond 6 tickets in a month, should also be Aadhaar verified.
- Users are required to verify the probable passengers through their respective Aadhaar number and store the verified passengers in passenger master list. This should be done before starting the ticket booking process, beyond 6 tickets in a month.
- User can add Aadhaar verified passenger from master list at the time of booking to book additional tickets upto 12 tickets in a month.
Step 1: Verify Aadhaar Number
- Click “Aadhaar KYC” link under “My Profile” menu.
- Enter Your Aadhaar Number and Click on Send OTP button. OTP would be sent by Aadhaar System (UIDAI) on the mobile number registered with Aadhaar. Please keep your Aadhaar registered mobile number ready.
- Enter the OTP and click on Verify button
- Click on Submit button to verify KYC details. After submission, your user is AADHAAR verified.
Step 2: Add a Passenger with Aadhaar Number
- Click “Master List” link under “My Profile” menu.
- While adding new passengers in the Master List, provide correct and complete details i.e. Name, Date of Birth, Gender and Aadhaar number as mentioned in the Aadhaar Card.
- Click on “Submit” button to Add and verify Aadhaar details.
- Passengers will be added in the Master List with Verification Status as “Pending”. No OTP will be sent in case of passenger Aadhaar verification.
- To check the verification status of Aadhaar details, please click on “Click here to check pending Aadhaar verification status” option provided.
Step 3: Select Aadhaar verified passengers during Ticket Booking.
- To book more than 6 tickets (upto 12 tickets in a month), select at least One (1) Aadhaar verified passenger from Master List and add to the Passenger list while booking ticket. If you do not have Aadhaar verified passenger in Master List before making 7th ticket and onward in a month, you will be not allowed to book extra tickets (more than 6).
- Note: At least one (1) passenger on the ticket being booked beyond, 6 tickets in a month should be Aadhaar verified.
More details are attached here : Book Upto 12 tickets in a month by linking Aadhaar
m-Aadhaar / e-Aadhaar
m-Aadhaar for Rail Travel
Ministry of Railways permits m-Aadhar as one of the prescribed proofs of Identity for Rail Travel Purpose
Ministry of Railways has decided to permit m- Aadhar (Aadhar card on mobile app namely m- Aadhar launched by UIDAI) as one of the prescribed proofs of Identity for Rail Travel purpose in any reserved class, Railway announced through a press release.
m- Aadhar is a mobile app launched by UIDAI on which a person can download his/her Aadhar Card. It can be done only on the mobile number to which Aadhar has been linked. For showing Aadhar, the person has to open the app and enter his/ her password to show the Aadhar Card.
m- Aadhar when shown by the passenger on his/her mobile after entering the password should be accepted as proof of identity for undertaking journey in any reserved class over Indian Railways.
Accepting of E-Aadhaar as Prescribed Proof of Identity for Reserved Journey
Ministry of Railways announced that (Commercial Circular No.33 dt- 28.06.2018) has decided to incorporate downloaded Aadhaar (e-Aadhaar) as prescribed proof of identity at par with printed Aadhaar card as mentioned in the list of prescribed proofs of identity which are valid for undertaking journey in trains in reserved class. Railway passengers may carry anyone of the below identity proof while travelling in reserved class coaches :
- Voter Photo Identity Card issued by Election Commission of India
- PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department
- Driving Licence issued by RTO
- Photo Identity Card having serial number issued by Central/State Government.
- Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School/College for their Students.
- Nationalised Bank Passbook with Photograph
- Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph
- Printed unique identification card “Aadhaar” or downloaded Aadhaar i.e e-Aadhaar, m-Aadhaar.
- Photo identity cards having serial number issued by Public Sector Undertakings of State/Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal bodies and Panchayat Administrations.
- In case of reserved tickets booked through computerised Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters, for undertaking journey in Sleeper (SL) and Second Reserved Sitting (2S) classes, attested photocopy of Ration Card with Photographs and Nationalised Bank Passbook with photograph are also accepted.
Railway has been decided that while undertaking journey in a train, if a passenger shows the Aadhaar/Driving Licence from the ‘issued Documents’ section by logging into his/her DigiLocker account, the same should be considered as valid proof of identity. But documents uploaded by the user himself/herself (i.e the document in ‘Uploaded Documents’ section) will not be considered as a valid proof of identity.
Withdrawal of Implementation of Aadhaar Based Ticketing System for PRS Tickets for Senior Citizens
Ministry of Railways announced that Railway has decided to withdraw the implementation of Aadhaar based ticketing system for PRS tickets (both counter and e-tickets) for senior citizen. Even from 1st April, 2017 onwards, the concession to senior citizens shall not be denied only for the reason that the person does not possess Aadhaar card. However, they are required to carry some documentary proof showing their age or date of birth and have to produce it if demanded by on-board ticket checking staff.
Now senior citizens can book reserved tickets across the reservation counters as well as through internet without aadhaar card.Earlier, Ministry of Railways has decided to make aadhaar based verification mandatory for getting concessional tickets for senior citizen w.e.f 1st April, 2017 and during journey senior citizen passengers has to carry any of the original documents including Aadhaar Card as notified from time to time for the purpose of identity proof. But, now the implementation of aadhaar based ticketing system has been withdrawn with immediate effect.
✅ Is Aadhaar compulsory for Railway Ticket bookings?
No, Aadhaar is not compulsory for booking of railways tickets.
✅ How to link Aadhaar number with IRCTC Account?
Open IRCTC website – irctc.co.in – and log in using username, password and security code shown on the page. Next, click on my profile tab and hit on Aadhaar KYC link. Enter Aadhaar number, click on get OTP. Enter OTP and submit, your Aadhaar will be linked to the account.
✅ What is the benefit of linking Aadhaar with IRCTC Account?
Users can book up to 12 tickets in a month by linking Aadhaar. Users can book up to 6 tickets in a month of Aadhaar is not linked.
✅ Can Aadhaar card be used as ID proof for train travel?
YES, mobile Aadhaar or Aadhaar card in digital form using mobile app mAadhaar can be used as one of the ID proof for train travel.
✅ What is Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a verifiable 12-digit identification number issued by UIDAI to the resident of India for free of cost
✅ What is m-Aadhaar?
mAadhaar is official mobile application developed by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to provide an interface to Aadhaar Number Holders to carry their demographic information viz. Name, Date of Birth, Gender and Address along with photograph as linked with their Aadhaar Number in smart phones.
✅ From Where I can download m Aadhaar?
You can download ‘m-Aadhaar’ from Google Playstore Click here to download
✅ What is e-Aadhaar?
e-Aadhaar is a password protected electronic copy of Aadhaar, which is digitally signed by the competent Authority of UIDAI.
✅ What is the main features of e-Aadhaar?
- Digital Signed Secure QR Code with Resident Photograph
- Improved Design
- Updated Information
- Issue Date and Download Date mentioned.
✅ From where Resident can download e-Aadhaar?
Resident can download e-Aadhaar by visiting UIDAI websites – Click Here>>
Aadhaar Authentication Service for Senior Citizen Passengers
Advance verification of Senior Citizens through Aadhaar is going to be mandatory to avail Senior Citizen concession in Railway booking soon. Started as an optional feature during First phase, Senior Citizen passengers can authenticate their Aadhaar card on IRCTC website using “Master List” option in advance before proceeding for booking of Train Tickets.
- From 1st January to 31st March 2017, Aadhaar verification for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens shall be on voluntary basis.
- With effect from 1st April 2017, Aadhaar verification for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens shall be mandatory.
Steps to Authenticate Aadhaar Details
- Login using your IRCTC User ID and Password on IRCTC e Ticketing website.
- Click “Master List” link under “My Profile” menu.
- While adding new senior citizen passengers in the Master list, provide correct and complete details i.e. Name, Date of Birth, Gender as mentioned in the Aadhaar Card. Thereafter, select Senior Citizen concession option as Yes/No, ID card type as Aadhaar ID and provide Aadhaar number.
- Ensure that correct details as per Aadhaar Card have been submitted.
- Click on “Add Passenger” button to Add Senior Citizen passenger and authenticate Aadhaar details.
- Passengers will be added in the Master list with Verification Status as “Pending”.
- To check the verification status of Aadhaar details, use “Click here to check pending Aadhaar verification status” option provided in the section.
- Verification status of Senior Citizen passengers who have authenticated their Aadhaar details successfully will be “Verified” and for failed authentications verification status will “Not Verified”.
- Steps to Select Aadhaar verified Senior Citizen passengers during Ticketing Booking : –
- Senior Citizen passengers already available in the Master list without Aadhaar verification can also be verified by using “Edit” option and submitting complete details including Aadhaar number.
- After successful verification of Aadhaar details, Senior Citizen passengers can be selected from Master List and added to the Passenger Details while booking ticket.
- To add Aadhaar verified Senior Citizen passengers in the Passenger details page, use “Select Passenger From Your Master List” link. A pop up with complete details of Passengers in the Master List will be displayed. Passengers selected from this page will be added to the Passenger entry form.
- Selecting Senior Citizen passengers from the Master list is an optional feature as of now and soon will be mandatory.
- After Aadhaar verification as a mandatory option for Senior Citizen concessions, Any Senior Citizen passenger availing concession will have to first authenticate his/her Aadhaar details and then select Aadhaar verified Senior Citizen passengers from Master list pop up during booking.
Aadhaar ID is Must for Book Ticket
Indian Railway implement 1st phase of Aadhaar Id based ticketing system for PRS Tickets (both counter and e-tickets) for senior citizens. Following are the details.
- Advance verification of senior citizens th rough Aadhaar shall be taken up by providing advance notice to senior citizen passengers to submit their Aadhaar details on line on IRCTC website or through the reservation offices from 01. 12.2016 onwards.
- From 1st January 2017 to 31st march 2017 requirement of Aadhaar verification for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens shall be on voluntary basis.
- With effect from 1st April 2017, for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens, Aadhaar based verification shall be Mandatory.
- Verification shall be optional during the implementation of 1st Phase if senior citizen want to purchase ticket on full fare
- There shall be no change in procedure as regards concession to senior citizens in Unreserved ticketing.
- With effect from 01.04.2017, during journey senior citizen passengers shall carry any of the original documents including Aadhaar Card as notified from time to time for the purpose of identity proof.
- There shall be no change in other terms and condition as regards concession to senior citizens in passenger fares.
- CRIS shall make necessary arrangements for implementation of above and necessary changes required in the software if any.
- IRCTC will complete necessary formalities for Agency (ASAS) and other arrangements pertaining to them.
- Wide publicity should be given for submission of Aadhaar details through online on IRCTC website or through the reservation office.
- This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.