MUMBAI AC LOCAL TRAIN
INDIA’S FIRST AC SUBURBAN TRAIN DETAILS
Indian Railway announced India’s First Ever Broad Gauge Air-conditioned AC EMU (Mumbai AC Local Train) of 12-car rake fitted with Indigenous 3-phase Propulsion system on Western Railway’s Mumbai Suburban (Local Trains) section. The details of the above trains is announced by Railway through a press release. Following are the details regarding fare, features, timings of new AC EMU.
After the introduction the AC local train will be operated on the experimental basis between Churchgate and Borivali stations for a week i.e. from 25th December to 31st December, 2017. Afterwards w.e.f. 1st January, 2018, this AC local train will be operated on regular basis as per the scheduled time table between Churchgate and Virar stations. Accordingly, w.e.f. 1st January, 2018, total 12 services (6 services in UP and 6 services in DOWN direction) of AC suburban train will be operated on weekdays only i.e. from Monday to Friday. It is decided that on Saturdays and Sundays, the rake of AC local train will not be operated for maintenance purpose.
In this AC local train, coaches reserved for Ladies and Seats earmarked for Senior Citizens/Divyangs are different from Standard Configuration. 1st and 12th coach from Churchgate end are earmarked as Ladies coaches and 7 seats in 2nd and 11th coach from Churchgate end are earmarked for Senior citizens while 10 seats in 4th and 7th coach from Churchgate end are earmarked for Divyangs. It is also decided that suitable number of RPF constables will be deployed in each coach of this train to ensure proper security. Similarly, technicians will also be deputed in the train for trouble shooting purpose. Suitable announcements will also be ensured for opening of the door as per the platform position of upcoming station.
Fare Structure for AC local train
The fare structure of AC EMU service shall be as under
- Base fare of the single journey of AC EMU shall be 1.3 times of the base fare of existing fare of single journey ticket for first class. However as an introductory offer for a period of initial six months, the base fare of single journey of AC EMU shall be charged 1.2 times of the base fare of existing fare of single journey ticket of first class. The difference between 1.3 times and 1.2 times will be shown in the ticket as discount during the introductory period.
- Season tickets :- Weekly, Fortnightly and monthly season tickets shall be charged equivalent to 5, 7.5 and 10 single journey of AC EMU respectively. No other type of season tickets shall be issued for the time being.
- AC EMU ticket holder shall also be allowed to travel by first class compartments of local trains.
The details of fare charges of AC local train are displayed as under :-
Comparison of 1st Class and AC Local Fare in Rs. ( Base fare * 1.2 times for 1st 6 months )
|Single Ticket Fare||Weekly Season Ticket||Fortnightly Season Ticket||Monthly Season Ticket|
|From||To||First Class||AC Local||First Class||AC Local||First Class||AC Local||First Class||AC Local|
Salient Features of Air Conditioned EMU:
- Manufactured by Integral Coach Factory, Chennai of Indian Railways.
- First Air conditioned EMU equipped with IGBT based 3 phase propulsion system.
- Fully air conditioned rake with a capacity of 30 Ton per coach.
- Automatic Door closure system.
- LED based lighting for better illumination and energy conservation.
- Equipped with Emergency Talk-back system. Passengers can seek assistance from guard of the train in distress condition.
- Passenger carrying capacity – Seats 1028 Nos. and Total 5964 passengers.
- LED based coach identification system for Alarm chain pulling and Door malfunctioning.
- GPS based passenger information system with Audio-visual indication of stations.
- PA system for Guard-Driver/ Passenger communication.
- Stainless steel coaches with straight side walls.
- Air suspension system for better Passenger comfort.
- Maximum speed – 100 Km/hour.
- Air Conditioned Driving Cab.
- Aerodynamic nose cone driving cab.
- Equipped with Air tight vestibules connecting 6 coaches.
- Wide and large double sealed glass window for panoramic view.
- Comfortable modular polycarbonate seats for passengers.
- Aluminum extruded modular luggage racks with polycarbonate transparent glass of bottom.
Automatic Door Closing System:
The door system is formed by two door leaves and drive unit mechanism located in the upper portal area. The door leaves were sliding on upper and lower rail guide, the movement of which is controlled by electrical signal received through TCMS from guard/ drivers cab. The door leaves were sliding inside pockets provided at the door opening. Following passenger safety features were provided in the automatic door closing system:
- Train will not start or take traction if any of the doors of the train is open.
- Automatic door will not open till the train comes to a complete halt.
- Door can open both from inside and from outside of the coach with the help of emergency exit device. This device can also be used if the door fails to open automatically when required. However, this emergency exit device will not operate when the train is in motion.
- The location of emergency door opening device (operating rotary handle near door) and the method of its operation is displayed inside the coach for guidance to the passenger.
- To avoid injury to passengers during closing operation of the door, doors will re-open thrice if any obstruction detection takes place. After first detection of obstruction there will be audio alarm to caution the passengers about door closing.
Passenger Carrying Capacity Coach Type-wise:
The rake comprised of three types of coaches to accommodate passengers; coach wise passenger capacity is as below:
|Coach Type||Seating Capacity||Standing Capacity||Total|
|Driving Motor Coach||65||258||323|
|Non – Driving Motor Coach||65||258||323|
The total capacity of the rake is 5964 passengers with 1028 seating capacity and 4936 standing capacity.
The Head-light and speed indicator cum recorder have been fitted on the Driving Cab. Auxiliary Warning System, Dead man’s handle, Wheel slip protection are available. In addition, following items are provided:
Event recorder: Event Recorder is provided in each driving motor coach’s Train Control and Management System (TCMS). Faults and events generated in various systems in each Basic unit were stored in respective event recorder (TCMS) of Motor coach.
Passenger alarm indication light in all coaches: Each coach is provided with an indication light on both sides of the coach. These lights are integrated with alarm chain pulling system.
Emergency evacuation of passenger Guidance: To evacuate the passengers in case of emergencies, emergency ladders are provided with signage inside the coach.
Fire Fighting System: Each Air Condition coach is equipped with 2 Nos of Fire Extinguisher with instruction to operate and proper arrow marking sticker.
Crew/Guard and Passenger Communication System:
GPS based passenger information system is provided in the rake.
- Passenger Announcement- There is facility of Passenger announcement from motorman and guard cab to Passenger area.
- Inter Communication- There is duplex Inter Communication available between Driver and Guard.
- Coach Display in each coach- There are two single sided display and two double sided display in each coach. Also there are nine speakers provided in each coach for audio announcement by which motorman can communicate with passenger coach.
- LED based Head code display in English and Hindi with handicap and ladies coach position is provided in front of the both driving motor coaches.
- ETB: Emergency Talk Back unit is provided in the passenger areas (four in each coach) to communicate with motorman/guard during any emergency.
Summary of AC Local Train Timings w.e.f 1st January, 2018
The AC train services will not run on Saturdays and Sundays for maintenance purpose.