High – Speed/Semi High Speed Train Corridors : Indian Railway
Indian Railway is in the path of drastic change. Now top to bottom modernization is the strategy of Indian Railway. Current Railway Minster Shri Suresh Prabhu has been making many changes for the developments of Railway. The introduction of high speed and Semi high speed train corridor is one among those changes. Indian Railways is working on a multi pronged strategy for running of high speed trains , with a speed of 300 kmph and semi high speed trains with a speed of 160 kmph – 200 kmph, running of existing trains with increased speeds and introduction of faster trains and faster train sets.
MoUs with Foreign Countries for High Speed / Semi High Speed Trains
- China : (i) High Speed Rail feasibility study for Delhi-Nagpur section with financing from Chinese side (ii) Feasibility study for upgradation of Speeds to 160 kmph on Chennai-Bengaluru-Mysore corridor with financing from Chinese side.
- South Korea : Feasibility Study for speed raising of Delhi-Mumbai route to 200 km/h with financing from South Korean side.
- Japan : The Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Project has been taken up for implementation with financial and technical assistance of Japan. An SPV, namely, National High Speed Rail Corporation (NHRC) has been formed to implement the project. The implementation of this project has already begun and is now targeted for commissioning in 2023-24. The study for this high speed train popularly referred to as Bullet Train has been done by JICA. Government of Japan is providing financial assistance in the form of loan upto 81% of the project cost at a very nominal interest rate of 0.1% per annum to be repaid in 50 years with a 15 year moratorium.
- France : (i) Technical and Execution Study for upgrading the speed of passenger trains between Delhi-Chandigarh upto 200 kmph. (ii) Renovation/development study of Ludhiana and Ambala railway stations.
- Germany : Feasibility study for High Speed Rail of Chennai-Bangalore-Mysore Section with financing from German side.
High Speed Train Corridors
- Delhi – Mumbai
- Mumbai- Chennai
- Delhi – Kolkata
- Delhi – Nagpur
- Mumbai – Nagpur
Semi High Speed Train Corridors
- Delhi-Chandigarh : Northern Railway zone
- Chennai-Bengaluru-Mysore : Southern Railway, South Western Railway zones
- Delhi-Kanpur : Northern, North Central Railway zone
- Nagpur-Bilaspur : South East Central Railway zone
- Mumbai-Goa : Central, South Western Railway, Konkan Railway zone Railway
- Mumbai-Ahmedabad : Western Railway zone
- Chennai- Hyderabad : Southern Railway zone, South Central zone
- Nagpur – Secunderabad : Central Railway zone, South Central Railway zone
Mumbai – Ahmedabad Bullet Train Project