ID PROOF – RAILWAY RELAX CONDITION
South Central Railway announced through the Press Release that the Indian Railway Relax the Condition of production of Original Proof of Identity during the Journey. Railway relax the condition is mainly for Lower Economic Classes.The Relax Condition will be effect from 15th January i.e, 15-01-2013.
Under this relaxation, attested Photocopy of Ration Card with photograph and Nationalized Bank Passbook with photographs shall also be accepted as a prescribed proof of identity only in case of reserved tickets booked through Computerized Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters, for undertaking journey in Sleeper (SL) and Second Reserved Sitting (2S) classes.
The photocopy of the Ration Card with photograph and Nationalised Bank Passbook with photograph should be attested by a Gazetted Officer or the Chief Reservation Supervisor or Station Manager or Station Master.This relaxation applies only to Ration Card and Nationalized Bank Pass Book and not in case of other types of proofs of identity cards for which only original proof will be required during journey.
The above provision is not applicable for all classes of e-tickets and Tatkal tickets and tickets issued through PRS counter for travelling in Air-conditioned classes and First Class.Travelling with these categories of tickets shall continue to be governed by existing instructions.
ORIGINAL ID PROOF MANDATORY FOR ALL RESERVED CLASSES FROM 1st December 2012
Ministry of Indian Railways extended the condition of carrying Original Proof of Identity during travel on Reserved Tickets to All Reserved Classes for reducing the scope of misuse of reserved ticketing system by unscrupulous elements, middleman or agents and an initiative to further facilitate the travel of bonafide and legitimate passengers. The rule will be effect from 01-12-2012.
From December 1st 2012, on wards the Original Proof of Identity will be compulsory for all reserved classes including Reserved Segment of Second Class(2S), Sleeper Class(SL), 3rd Economy Class(3E), and First Class(FC).
Presently only the following categories of passengers travelling in reserved classes have to produce original proof of identity during the journey:-
- Passengers undertaking journey in all AC classes on tickets issued by computerized Passenger Reservation System (PRS) Counters from General Quota, except in III Economy Class (3E).
- Passengers travelling on e-tickets
- Passengers travelling on Tatkal tickets.
Further, the Ministry of Railways has expanded the list of prescribed Proofs of Identity by including photo identity cards having serial numbers issued by Public Sector undertakings of State / Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal Administrations and Panchayat Administrations.
The expanded list of the Prescribed Proofs of Identity for undertaking journey by any Reserved Class by tickets obtained from Passenger Reservation System Counters from General Quota / Tatkal Quota, or through e-booking will be as follows:-
- Voter Photo Identity Card issued by Election Commission of India.
- PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department.
- Driving License issued by Regional Transport Authorities.
- Photo Identity Card having serial number issued by Central / State Government such as:- (i)Pension Pay Orders (PPO) (ii) Ration Card with photographs (iii) Senior Citizen Cards (iv) Below Poverty Line (BPL) Cards (v) ESI Cards with photograph issued for taking treatment in ESI dispensaries. (vi) CGHS Cards with photograph issued to individual family members of Central Govt. employees.
- Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School/College for their Students.
- Nationalized Bank Passbook with photographs.
- Credit Cards issued by Banks with Laminated photograph.
- Unique Identification Card “Aadhaar”.
- Photo identity cards having serial number issued by Public Sector Undertakings of State /Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal Bodies, Panchayat Administrations.
So from December 1st 2012 on wards,any one of the passengers booked on a PNR in any Reserved Class has to produce any one of the above mentioned prescribed Proofs of Identity in Original during the journey, Otherwise passengers will be treated as travelling without ticket and charged accordingly. The existing provision for the Tatkal scheme will continue as same as earlier.