Role of Aadhaar in Indian Railway
Here we can check the connection between Indian Railway and Aadhaar and various role of Aadhaar in Indian Railway including ticket booking, concession etc.
- Aadhaar ID is Must for Book Ticket
- Aadhaar Authentication Service for Senior Citizen Passengers
- Withdrawal of Implementation of Aadhaar based Ticketing System for PRS Tickets for Senior Citizens
- Accepting of E-Aadhaar as Prescribed Proof of Identity for Reserved Journey
- M-Aadhaar for Rail Travel
- Book up to 12 Tickets in a Month by Linking Aadhaar
- Aadhaar : Not Compulsory for Rail Booking
AADHAAR : NOT COMPULSORY FOR RAIL BOOKING
Aadhaar not compulsory for rail bookings, but incentivising its usage voluntarily
A famous Newspaper reported that Indian Railways has said Aadhaar is not compulsory for booking tickets for rail journey, but it is encouraged by the transport behemoth by promoting it on a voluntary basis by incentivising it.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain said there is no proposal to make Aadhaar number compulsory for booking tickets. However, as of January 1, 2017, requirement of Aadhaar verification for booking concessional railway tickets for senior citizen has been introduced on voluntary basis, he said.
Book Up to 12 tickets in a month by linking Aadhaar
Indian Railway announced that now users are allowed to book upto 12 tickets in a month, if users get themselves verified through their Aadhaar number along with at least one passenger also being verified through Aadhaar.
- No Aadhaar Verification required for booking up to 6 tickets in a month, as earlier.
- Existing facility of booking upto 6 tickets (without Aadhaar) in a month continues.
Steps to avail the facility of booking more than 6 tickets and up to 12 tickets in a month:
- IRCTC Registered User is required to get himself Aadhaar verified using Aadhaar KYC option in My Profile.
- User’s Aadhaar will be verified by sending an OTP on his mobile number linked with his Aadhaar number. On successful submission of OTP, user will become Aadhaar verified.
- At least One (1) passenger on the ticket being booked, beyond 6 tickets in a month, should also be Aadhaar verified.
- Users are required to verify the probable passengers through their respective Aadhaar number and store the verified passengers in passenger master list. This should be done before starting the ticket booking process, beyond 6 tickets in a month.
- User can add Aadhaar verified passenger from master list at the time of booking to book additional tickets upto 12 tickets in a month.
Step 1: Verify Aadhaar Number
- Login using your IRCTC User ID and Password on www.irctc.co.in.
- Click “Aadhaar KYC” link under “My Profile” menu.
- Enter Your Aadhaar Number and Click on Send OTP button. OTP would be sent by Aadhaar System (UIDAI) on the mobile number registered with Aadhaar. Please keep your Aadhaar registered mobile number ready.
- Enter the OTP and click on Verify button
- Click on Submit button to verify KYC details. After submission, your user is AADHAAR verified.
Step 2: Add a Passenger with Aadhaar Number
- Click “Master List” link under “My Profile” menu.
- While adding new passengers in the Master List, provide correct and complete details i.e. Name, Date of Birth, Gender and Aadhaar number as mentioned in the Aadhaar Card.
- Click on “Submit” button to Add and verify Aadhaar details.
- Passengers will be added in the Master List with Verification Status as “Pending”. No OTP will be sent in case of passenger Aadhaar verification.
- To check the verification status of Aadhaar details, please click on “Click here to check pending Aadhaar verification status” option provided.
Step 3: Select Aadhaar verified passengers during Ticket Booking.
- To book more than 6 tickets (upto 12 tickets in a month), select at least One (1) Aadhaar verified passenger from Master List and add to the Passenger list while booking ticket. If you do not have Aadhaar verified passenger in Master List before making 7th ticket and onward in a month, you will be not allowed to book extra tickets (more than 6).
- Note: At least one (1) passenger on the ticket being booked beyond, 6 tickets in a month should be Aadhaar verified.
More details are attached here : Book Upto 12 tickets in a month by linking Aadhaar
m-Aadhaar for Rail Travel
Ministry of Railways permits m-Aadhar as one of the prescribed proofs of Identity for Rail Travel Purpose
Ministry of Railways has decided to permit m- Aadhar (Aadhar card on mobile app namely m- Aadhar launched by UIDAI) as one of the prescribed proofs of Identity for Rail Travel purpose in any reserved class, Railway announced through a press release.
m- Aadhar is a mobile app launched by UIDAI on which a person can download his/her Aadhar Card. It can be done only on the mobile number to which Aadhar has been linked. For showing Aadhar, the person has to open the app and enter his/ her password to show the Aadhar Card.
m- Aadhar when shown by the passenger on his/her mobile after entering the password should be accepted as proof of identity for undertaking journey in any reserved class over Indian Railways.
Accepting of E-Aadhaar as Prescribed Proof of Identity for Reserved Journey
Western Railway announced that Ministry of Railways has decided to incorporate downloaded Aadhaar (e-Aadhaar) as prescribed proof of identity at par with printed Aadhaar card as mentioned in the list of prescribed proofs of identity which are valid for undertaking journey in trains in reserved class. Railway passengers may carry anyone of the below identity proof while travelling in reserved class coaches :
- Voter Photo Identity Card issued by Election Commission of India
- PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department
- Driving Licence issued by RTO
- Photo Identity Card having serial number issued by Central/State Government.
- Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School/College for their Students.
- Nationalised Bank Passbook with Photograph
- Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph
- Printed unique identification card “Aadhaar” or downloaded Aadhaar (e-Aadhaar).
- Ration Card with photograph of passenger travelling.
Withdrawal of Implementation of Aadhaar Based Ticketing System for PRS Tickets for Senior Citizens
Ministry of Railways announced that Railway has decided to withdraw the implementation of Aadhaar based ticketing system for PRS tickets (both counter and e-tickets) for senior citizen. Even from 1st April, 2017 onwards, the concession to senior citizens shall not be denied only for the reason that the person does not possess Aadhaar card. However, they are required to carry some documentary proof showing their age or date of birth and have to produce it if demanded by on-board ticket checking staff.
Now senior citizens can book reserved tickets across the reservation counters as well as through internet without aadhaar card.Earlier, Ministry of Railways has decided to make aadhaar based verification mandatory for getting concessional tickets for senior citizen w.e.f 1st April, 2017 and during journey senior citizen passengers has to carry any of the original documents including Aadhaar Card as notified from time to time for the purpose of identity proof. But, now the implementation of aadhaar based ticketing system has been withdrawn with immediate effect.
Aadhaar Authentication Service for Senior Citizen Passengers
Advance verification of Senior Citizens through Aadhaar is going to be mandatory to avail Senior Citizen concession in Railway booking soon. Started as an optional feature during First phase, Senior Citizen passengers can authenticate their Aadhaar card on IRCTC website using “Master List” option in advance before proceeding for booking of Train Tickets.
- From 1st January to 31st March 2017, Aadhaar verification for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens shall be on voluntary basis.
- With effect from 1st April 2017, Aadhaar verification for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens shall be mandatory.
Steps to Authenticate Aadhaar Details
- Login using your IRCTC User ID and Password on IRCTC e Ticketing website.
- Click “Master List” link under “My Profile” menu.
- While adding new senior citizen passengers in the Master list, provide correct and complete details i.e. Name, Date of Birth, Gender as mentioned in the Aadhaar Card. Thereafter, select Senior Citizen concession option as Yes/No, ID card type as Aadhaar ID and provide Aadhaar number.
- Ensure that correct details as per Aadhaar Card have been submitted.
- Click on “Add Passenger” button to Add Senior Citizen passenger and authenticate Aadhaar details.
- Passengers will be added in the Master list with Verification Status as “Pending”.
- To check the verification status of Aadhaar details, use “Click here to check pending Aadhaar verification status” option provided in the section.
- Verification status of Senior Citizen passengers who have authenticated their Aadhaar details successfully will be “Verified” and for failed authentications verification status will “Not Verified”.
- Steps to Select Aadhaar verified Senior Citizen passengers during Ticketing Booking : –Senior Citizen passengers already available in the Master list without Aadhaar verification can also be verified by using “Edit” option and submitting complete details including Aadhaar number.
- After successful verification of Aadhaar details, Senior Citizen passengers can be selected from Master List and added to the Passenger Details while booking ticket.
- To add Aadhaar verified Senior Citizen passengers in the Passenger details page, use “Select Passenger From Your Master List” link. A pop up with complete details of Passengers in the Master List will be displayed. Passengers selected from this page will be added to the Passenger entry form.
- Selecting Senior Citizen passengers from the Master list is an optional feature as of now and soon will be mandatory.
- After Aadhaar verification as a mandatory option for Senior Citizen concessions, Any Senior Citizen passenger availing concession will have to first authenticate his/her Aadhaar details and then select Aadhaar verified Senior Citizen passengers from Master list pop up during booking.
Aadhaar ID is Must for Book Ticket
Indian Railway implement 1st phase of Aadhaar Id based ticketing system for PRS Tickets (both counter and e-tickets) for senior citizens. Following are the details.
- Advance verification of senior citizens th rough Aadhaar shall be taken up by providing advance notice to senior citizen passengers to submit their Aadhaar details on line on IRCTC website or through the reservation offices from 01. 12.2016 onwards.
- From 1st January 2017 to 31st march 2017 requirement of Aadhaar verification for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens shall be on voluntary basis.
- With effect from 1st April 2017, for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens, Aadhaar based verification shall be Mandatory.
- Verification shall be optional during the implementation of 1st Phase if senior citizen want to purchase ticket on full fare
- There shall be no change in procedure as regards concession to senior citizens in Unreserved ticketing.
- With effect from 01.04.2017, during journey senior citizen passengers shall carry any of the original documents including Aadhaar Card as notified from time to time for the purpose of identity proof.
- There shall be no change in other terms and condition as regards concession to senior citizens in passenger fares.
- CRIS shall make necessary arrangements for implementation of above and necessary changes required in the software if any.
- IRCTC will complete necessary formalities for Agency (ASAS) and other arrangements pertaining to them.
- Wide publicity should be given for submission of Aadhaar details through online on IRCTC website or through the reservation office.
- This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.