INDIAN RAILWAY RULES FOR FOREIGNERS
Details of Indian railway rules for foreigners in India. Following are the rules and conditions.
Foreign Tourist Quota Booking via IRCTC Website
Revised Policy of Booking of Reserved Tickets by Foreign Tourists Online (24.04.2018)
In 2017 Ministry of Railway made some changes in the policy of Booking of Reserved Tickets by Foreign Tourists Online, now based on the feedback received, the scheme has been slightly modified . A revised scheme of Revised Policy of Booking of Reserved Tickets by Foreign Tourists Online
Revised Scheme for Booking of Reserved Tickets by Foreign Tourists
- For booking the tickets the passport number, Nationality and the International Mobile No. of the passenger has to be mandatorily entered for generation of the ticket.
- All tickets are booked on applicable fare and no concession is admissible
- Payment is to be made only through International debit/Credit cards. An SMS confirming the reservation of the ticket is sent to the registered mobile number.
- The fare is uniformly charged at 1.5 time the base fare by Indian Railways and IRCTC collects enhanced charges of Rs.200/- per ticket.
- The passenger who has reserved the ticket under this category has to carry the original Passport (given at the time of booking ticket) with valid visa as identity proof and make it available for check during the journey. In case the passenger is not able to show the original Passport with valid visa, the passenger is treated as without ticket and charged penalty equivalent to 3 times the fare of the ticket and if passenger fails to pay the penalty, legal action will be taken against the passenger.
- Foreign tourists are allowed to register their demand up to 365 days in advance till the train is made open for booking as per advanced reservation period (ARP). The limit up to which the demand of foreign tourists is registered is as under:-
- Eight berths per FAC
- Four berths per FACCW
- Eight berths per 2A Coach
- Ten seats per EC coach
- The demand is registered for all types of trains. The status on the ticket will be “Confirmed”. Coach/Seat/Berth Number will be allotted on the day of opening of reservation as per ARP except in case of Fist AC in which Coupe/ Cabin is allotted at the time of preparation of first reservation charts.
- As on the day of registering of requests, no train exists in the system, the composition of the train on that date is taken into account for allowing the number of berths/seats for which requests are registered e.g. beyond ARP, if there are 04 coaches of 2A in a train, then provision is made for registering 4*8 i.e. 32 passengers. In case on the day of opening of reservation as per ARP, the number of caches of that class varies, the number of berths/passengers allowed to be registered does not change.
- If class itself doen’t exist once ARP opens, passengers will have to be manually allotted berths/seats in another class by database operation as is being done presently.
- The last request being registered is honoured even if the limit above has to be extended, however, beyond that no request is registered e.g. if the last request received is for 6 passengers and there is a scope for registering request for only 3 passengers, the above said limit is extended by 3 berths/ seats to accommodate the last request. However, thereafter, no more transaction is allotted in that class beyond ARP.
- In case of cancellation of the tickets booked under this facility by the passenger flat 50% of the fare is deducted in addition to the cancellation charges applicable while refunding the amount. The time limit for granting 50% refund is as per extant Refund rules i.e upto 4 hours before scheduled departure of train for confirmed PNRs. Part confirmed/ part waitlist will be given refund as per rule upto 30 minutes. This rule is applicable for e-tickets as well as counter tickets.
- No change of name is permissible on such tickets under any condition.
- Authorised ticketing agents are not allowed to book accommodation under Foreign Tourists Quota.
- On the day of opening of reservation as per ARP, the accommodation will be released for general booking after accommodating of such request is registered.
Foreign Tourist Quota within ARP
- This quota is defined by zonal railways based on demand pattern.
- Booking against this quota starts from the day of opening of reservation in the train as per ARP.
- Accommodation against this quota can be booked within ARP on payment of 1.5 times the base fare.
- For booking across the counter through FT Quota within ARP, payment is accepted through any type of mode i.e. Indian Currency/National/ International Credit/Debit cards. Foreign nationals booking berths under general quota can book ticket on normal fare.
- The accommodation under this quota is allowed to be booked up to the limit of foreign tourist quota defined by the Railways subject to the condition that the last party is accommodation in general quota if partial accommodation is available under foreign tourist quota. The fare for the entire party in such cases is 1.5 times the base fare.
- If foreign tourists quota is exhausted, system will not automatically book in GN quota, the passenger has to explicitly book in General quota on payment of normal fare.
- No waiting list tickets are issued except in case the last request for foreign tourist quota is more than the quota and there is no accommodation available in general quota at the time of booking.
- The ununtilsed accommodation under foreign tourist quota is released to RAC/ waiting list passengers at the time of preparation of first reservation chart.
Detailed PDF of the above policy are attached here:-
Booking of Reserved Tickets by Foreign Tourist Online (Updated 15.07.2017)
Ministry of Railway announced through a press release the new Policy of Reservation for Foreign Tourists.
Now, Indian Railways has decided to provide the facility of Foreign Tourist Quota booking to International users on IRCTC website also. At present, international users can book e-ticket on IRCTC website as a normal user and book normal ARP or Tatkal tickets.
The following accommodation (per coach) will be available for booking (365 days in advance):
- Eight berths (two cabins) in IA coach
- Four berths (one cabin) in composite 1A cum 2A coach
- Eight berths per 2A coach (two inside berth cabins)
- Ten berths in EC coach
Features of the Scheme:
- International mobile no of user will be captured at the time of user registration/updation profile. To verify mobile no, an OTP will be sent to International user at his registered mobile no. Another OTP will be sent on his e-mail to verify e-mail ID.
- Passport number of all Foreign Tourist will be captured at the time of booking e-tickets.
- If the user has not got verified his mobile number prior to booking his e-ticket, he will be asked to update his profile through profile update with new mobile number with ISD code. This updated profile will be verified through an OTP or SMS to International Mobile no.
- User has the option to make payment through International Debit/Credit card through following payment gateway:
- AMEX(for American Express International cards)
- ATOM(for all International cards)
- User can book tickets under FT Quota upto 365 days in advance. They will also be able to book normal ARP/Tatkal tickets.
- After a ticket is successfully booked, ticket booking information will be sent on SMS to the user through International SMS facility.
- Ticket booking information will also be sent to user on his registered e-mail ID.
- Berth allocation SMS will be sent to the FT Quota users at the time of opening of ARP as soon as berths are allotted by the PRS system.
- Users can also download ERS (Electronic Reservation Slip) from website for booked tickets after berths are allotted by PRS system.
- There is a charge of Rs 200 + applicable taxes per ticket booked under Foreign Tourist Quota through IRCTC e-Ticketing website.
- If berth is not allotted to FT Quota users for any reason, Cancellation SMS/Email informing the user about booking having been dropped and refund being processed will be sent. Refund will be sent back to the same International Debit/Credit card and through same Payment Gateway which was used at the time of booking.
- In case of cancellation of the tickets booked under this facility by the passenger flat 50% of the fare shall be deducted in addition of the cancellation charges applicable while refunding the amount. The time limit for granting 50% refund will be as per extant rules i.e. upto 4 hours before scheduled departure of train, through website only.
- If booking amount has been debited from customer’s bank account and ticket was not issued, IRCTC will refund the entire Fare and IRCTC service charges electronically (as credit to the relevant credit /debit card account used for the transaction).
- Refunds amount if any, will be credited only in the account which was used for ticket booking.
- IRCTC’s payment reconciliation team works on a 24 x 7 basis, IRCTC offers no guarantees whatsoever for the accuracy or timeliness of the refunds reaching the Customers card/bank accounts. This is on account of the multiplicity of organizations involved in processing of online transactions, the problems with Internet infrastructure currently available and working days/holidays of financial institutions.
- All refund will be processed as per extant Railway Refund Rules.
Detailed PDF of the above policy are attached here:-
Earlier Policy (Before 15.07.2018)
Foreign Tourist Quota booking was not available on IRCTC e-ticketing website. Facility of making payment through International Debit and Credit cards is available on website to such users was launched by Hon’ble MR in 2016 (29.04.2016) to facilitate online booking of tickets using international debit/credit cards. International users should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for verification of their account at IRCTC after online submission of registration forms at www.irctc.co.in along with their nationality documents such as passport etc. for due verification. Till now the facility of Foreign Tourist Quota booking to International users could be availed only through General Service Agents ( at Sharjah, Nepal, United Kingdom, Muscat and Bangladesh only) or in person at International Tourist Bureau in India.
One Year Advanced Train Ticket Booking Facility for Foreigners
Indian Railway announced that those who wants to visit India in next year from a Foreign Country including a foreigner or an Indian staying abroad can book the train ticket now itself, i.e foreigners can book the next year travel ticket across India in one year advance through Indian Railway Website. Currently a foreigner can book the travel ticket across India in advance of 120 days only. He/She can book the train travel ticket across India from his/her places itself via Online by using Credit Card/Debit Card.
The one year advanced booking facility is available in Fist AC, Second AC and Executive Class of Mai/Express, Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Gattiman, Tejas Express Trains only. A traveler won’t be able to enjoy this booking facility for Sleeper, Third AC tickets for the above mentioned trains. So travelers can book the ticket directly via online without depending the travel agents.
Foreigners Train Ticket Booking Rule Revision
Happy news to all non resident Indians, now you can book s
oon your Indian Railways train ticket from your place itself via Online Booking website IRCTC. One of the trusted media reported that Indian railways going to introduce this facility soon to all foreign passengers. After the activation of this feature outside Indian peoples can ableto book the train tickets of India via Credit Card also.
Earlier IRCTC have this facility but due to several Online fraud transactions happens this service discontinued. Now railways coming back with full strength to fight with hackers and other. Railways made booking more stable so that can’t able to attack the same from out side and more security features.
Current Process of Indian Railways Ticket Booking for Foreigners
As per railways rule there are several railway berths are allocated exclusively for foreign passengers via Tourist Ticket quota. But these tickets can’t able to book via Online from the mother country. So only way to get the Indian train ticket is via Travel Agents.
Following are the procedures
- Visit nearest foreigners reservation office of Indian Railways
- Ask for Foreigner train ticket booking Form
- Fill in the reservation form as per rail staffs Instructions. In this form enter the required details proper so that can able to you as foreigner passenger ( Don’t worry railways staff will help you for filling the form)
- Pay for your tickets and Enjoy Indian Travel.
Following is the address for booking train ticket in Delhi
International Tourist Bureau,
New Delhi Railway Station,
New Delhi- 110 001
Phone : 91-11-23405156, 23346804
Always keep in mind that some of trains are cancelled on Indian Railways to overcome difficult weather conditions and other factors. And some these trains will restored when weather conditions by the side of Indian Railways also (That is number of Fog reduced after the Cancellations of trains).
Palace on Wheel, Maharaja , Buddhist circuit trains and other tourist specials are popular with foreigners.
I Ticket or E-Ticket Allowed for Foreigners?
Its not recommended to purchase I Ticket. This because these are sending to local registered address only.
E-Ticket is good for Outside Indian train ticket booking via online. After ticket booking this is send via e-mail and SMS.
If you don’t have local mobile number then take the print out of Train Ticket and carry valid ID proof at the time of travel. If you forget to take the E-Ticket then no need to worry more, just have to pay extra Rs. 50.
Also note If you having with any smart phone or Tab then just need to show that ticket booking details to Ticket Checking staff and no need of taking print out of the same.
Most of the time Foreigners reservation quota remains available so its not necessary to booking the train ticket too advance.
In alternatively you can try to create one IRCTC User Login Free for self train ticket booking.