Tatkal Scheme : Rules 2016With a view to provide reservation to those passengers who have to undertake journey at short notice and to save such passengers from the clutches of unscrupulous elements/touts, Tatkal Reservation Scheme was initially introduced in December, 1997. Initially this scheme was available only in around 110 trains and mainly in Sleeper Class. At that time an extra coach was to be attached for this purpose. This scheme was thoroughly revised in August 2004 and some modifications were made from time to time.
- Indian Rail Tatkal Scheme Booking and Refund Complete Details
- 8 AM TO 10 AM Ticket Booking Restriction
- Maximum 6 Tickets Online Per User ID Allowed in a Month
- IRCTC Ticket Booking Restrictions For Better User Experience
- Premium Tatkal Quota Through PRS Booking Counters
- Method to Avoid misuse of Tatkal Scheme
Indian Rail Tatkal Scheme Complete Details
The salient features of this scheme as on date are as under:-
- Tatkal booking for AC classes opens at 1000 hours on the previous day of journey excluding date of journey from the train originating station. For non-AC classes, Tatkal booking starts at 1100 hours on the previous day of journey excluding date of journey from the train originating station. For example, if train is to depart from the originating station on the second of the month, the Tatkal quota for that particular train shall open at 1000/1100 hours on the first of the month.
- The reservation under this scheme is available only upto the time of preparation of charts. At the time of preparation of charts, the vacant Tatkal accommodation is released to the RAC/waitlisted passengers and no Tatkal charges are realized from such passengers.
- The facility of change of name is not permitted on the bookings made under Tatkal scheme.
- No duplicate Tatkal tickets are issued. Duplicate Tatkal tickets are issued only in exceptional cases on payment of full fare including Tatkal charges.
- The reservation under this scheme can be sought by full fare paying passengers only and no passenger holding concessional ticket is allowed to avail reservation under this scheme.
- In case of tickets booked under Tatkal scheme, during the journey, one of the passengers booked on that ticket is required to produce any one of the prescribed proof of identity mentioned below (in original), failing which all the passengers booked on that ticket are considered as travelling without ticket and charged accordingly:-
- Voter Photo Identity Card issued by Election Commission of India.
- PAN Card issued by Income Tax Department
- Driving Licence issued by RTO
- Photo Identity Card issued by Central /State Government
- Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School/ College for their students
- Nationalized Bank Passbook with photograph
- Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph.
- Unique Identification Card “Aadhar “.
- Photo identity cards having serial number issued by Public Sector Undertakings of State/Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal bodies and Panchayat Administrations.
- Keeping in view the short Advance Reservation Period and with a view to make this scheme economically unavailable for unscrupulous elements/touts, refund rules of the scheme have been made stringent in which no refund is granted on the confirmed Tatkal tickets. However, full refund of fare and Tatkal charges is granted on the tickets booked under Tatkal scheme under certain circumstances like non-attachment of coach, cancellation of train, as explained below:-
- If the train is delayed by more than 3 hours at the journey originating point of the passenger & not the boarding point if the passenger’s journey originating point and boarding point are different.
- If the train is to run on a diverted route and passenger is not willing to travel.
- If the train is to run on diverted route and boarding station or the destination or both the stations are not on the diverted route.
- In case of non attachment of coach in which Tatkal accommodation has been earmarked and the passenger has not been provided accommodation in the same class.
- If the party has been accommodated in lower class and does not want to travel. In case the party travels in lower class, the passenger will be given refund of difference of fare and also the difference of Tatkal charges, if any.
- Tatkal charges have been fixed as a percentage of fare at the rate of 10% of basic fare for second class and 30% of basic fare for all other classes subject to minimum and maximum as given in the table below:-
|Class of Travel||Minimum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)||Maximum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)||Minimum Distance for Charges (in Km)|
|Reserved Second Sitting (25)||10||15||100|
|AC Chair Car||125||225||250|
|AC - 3 Tier||300||400||500|
- In case the total run of the train is less than the distance restriction, end fare i.e. from originating to destination station shall be charged.
- There will be no such restriction for Tatkal scheme in passenger trains.
- Tatkal tickets are issued subject to the applicable distance restrictions.
- All authorized ticketing agents of Indian Railways/IRCTC have been restricted from booking Tatkal tickets at the counters between 1000 hours and 1030 hours for tickets in AC classes and between 1100 hours and 1130 hours for non-AC classes.
- It is possible to book a maximum of only four passengers per PNR for Tatkal tickets.
- The web services agents of IRCTC have been permitted to book only one Tatkal ticket per train per day on the internet.
- Powers for earmarking of Tatkal accommodation in different classes have been delegated to Zonal Railways who take a decision in this regard keeping in view the utilization pattern in that class during the previous financial year as well as availability of accommodation. The accommodation so earmarked, however, in no case exceed upto maximum of 30% of capacity of coach depending on the utilization of this quota during the last 6 month period.
- Out of the total berth potential of around 13.49 lakhs berths/seats per day, on an average, around 2.52 lakh seats/berths are available for booking under Tatkal / Premium Tatkal every day i.e. approximately 18.70% of the total accommodation.
- Instructions have also been issued to zonal Railways to introduce Tatkal scheme in the passenger trains in that train/class in which average utilization during the previous financial year has been more than 60%. The minimum Tatkal charges prescribed for different classes will be applicable as fl at Tatkal charges. All other conditions applicable to normal Tatkal scheme will be applicable in case of identified passenger trains.
The Up-gradation Scheme
- With a view to optimize the utilization of available accommodation in train, a scheme to upgrade full-fare paying passengers to the higher class without any extra charge against the available vacant accommodation is available in almost Mail/Express trains.
- The passengers are required to give the option for being considered for up gradation. If no option is given at the time of filling up of requisition form, the same is treated as “yes” and passenger(s) can be considered for up gradation.
- The passengers for up gradation are selected automatically (except in cases where the passenger has shown his unwillingness to be upgraded) on random basis by the System at the time of preparation of reservation charts.
- All the passengers on a ticket are upgraded together.
- It is not done for block booking transactions.
- If a passenger, who has been upgraded, cancels his ticket, cancellation charges of the original class only are payable. It is advisable to avail the facility (by exercising the option in the affirmative) and always to check the status (coach/ berth numbers) before boarding the train.
Method to Avoid misuse of Tatkal Scheme
Features of Tatkal Scheme in Railways
- One of the passengers booked on the ticket has to show the prescribed proof of identity (in original) during journey failing which all the passengers booked on that ticket are treated as travelling without ticket and charged accordingly.
- No refund is granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal ticket.
- The facility of change of name is not permitted on the booking made under Tatkal Scheme.
- The timings of opening of booking under Tatkal scheme on the opening day of reservation have been staggered to 10.00 hours and 11.00 hours on the previous day of journey from train originating station for AC and non-AC classes respectively.
- Authorized ticketing agents have been restricted from booking Tatkal tickets during the first thirty minutes of opening of Tatkal booking i.e. from 10.00 hours to 10.30 hours and from 11.00 hours to 11.30 hours.
- Web service agents have been permitted to book only one Tatkal ticket per train per day.
- Maximum four passengers per PNR for Tatkal Tickets. Individuals are allowed only 2 Tatkal tickets per IP Address from 10.00 hours to 12.00 hours permissible and maximum number of tickets allowed to an individual user is 6 per month.
- Automatic log out after completion of one transaction.
Updated : 24.06.2016
Premium Tatkal Quota Through PRS Booking Counters
IRCTC Ticket Booking Restrictions For Better User Experience
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Cooperation ( IRCTC ) changing the online reservation rule in such a way that will give maximum user experience. As you know before 2 year once we book the Train ticket got several errors like IRCTC Service Unavailable Error , when we are login to the system on peak hours. Now these kind of errors or hang of system is not occurring on the IRCTC website because of advanced technology and good server. Railways keep on improving the system to make this success. There are several ways trying to improve this. You can book mark this page to get latest reservation technology wise changes.
|Max 6 Ticket per Month Only Allowed|
Maximum 6 Tickets Online Per User ID Allowed in a Month: Rule Starting Date: 15 February, 2016
- General users are allowed only 2 tickets per user-ID in a day ( for Normal Ticket booking other than Tatkal ) from 08:00 AM to 10.00 AM.
- General Users are allowed only 2 tickets per user-ID in a day (for Tatkal booking) from 10:00 hours to 12:00 hours.
- Quick Book Option will not be available from 08:00 AM to 12:00 AM
- All travel ticketing agents (YTSK, RTSA, IRCTC agents etc.) have been debarred from booking tickets during the first thirty minutes of opening of booking. That is from 08:00 AM to 08:30 AM for general bookings, and from 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM and 11:00 AM to 11:30 AM for Tatkal booking in AC and non-AC classes respectively.
- Train Ticket Booking is not allowed through e-wallet and cash cards from 08:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
- There is only one booking in one user login session except for return/onward journey between 08:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
8 AM TO 10 AM TICKET BOOKING RESTRICTION
|IRCTC Ticket Booking Restriction|