Double Stack Container : Goods Train In IndiaNorthern Railways flagged off the first double stack container train between Patli to Mundra Port.
|Double Decker Container Train|
The route followed by the train would be Patli, Ringus, Phulera, Ajmer, Palanpur, Samakhiali, Gandhidham and Mundra Port.The running of the double stack container trains on 1198 KM long Gurgaon-Mundra route.
The running of double stack container trains will have several benefits which will ultimately benefit the consumers.
Following are some of the benefits
- The operators of container trains will be given a rebate of 50% for top layer of containers thus reducing the unit cost of haulage.
- Terminal congestion will be minimized as the dwelling time of containers at terminal and ports will be reduced as more and more containers will be on the move.
- The rolling stock requirement of locos and container flat wagons will also be reduced substantially as double the number of containers will be carried in one go.
- The number of trains will be reduced as double the number of containers will be carried at one time reducing the strain of route capacity.
- The overall transit time of containers will also be reduced.
- Since the containers are non-conventional hi-cube containers 9’6” high, each train will carry 180 TEUs (boxes), this will help in their faster evacuation, thus lowering transportation costs.