Indian Double Decker Trains
RCF will start manufacturing the coaches after successful completion of oscillation trials.
These futuristic high-speed stainless steel AC coaches would be introduced to cater to the heavy rush of commuters in high density corridors offering AC travel at a low cost.
The first double Decker train would be seen running on track by end of this year. The new coach with pleasing green-yellow color scheme has all the features and the comforts of a Shatabdi coach.
A totally new coach shell design capable of running at a speed of 160 kmph was developed by RCF engineers in tandem with Research Design and Standard Organisation (RDSO) within a short span of just nine months.
In the new design, 128 passengers can be seated as compared with 78 passengers in Shatabdi chair cars, thus increasing the capacity by almost 70 per cent.
The overall height of a double decker coach has been increased marginally (four and a half inches) keeping in view the constraints like overhead structures, bridges, electric traction equipment, platforms etc, so that these coaches can be used without modifying any of the fixed structures except for clearing some minor infringements.
Space for the two decks has been generated by optimally using the well space between the two bogies.
To save upon space, it was decided to use End-On-Generation configuration where power for train lighting and air-conditioning is supplied by two power cars, attached at both ends of the train.
Double Decker Express Trains List
- MumbaiLTT - Madgaon AC Double Decker Express
- Mumbai Central - Ahmedabad Double Decker Express
- Bhopal–Indore AC Double Decker Intercity Express
- Chennai - Bangalore Double Decker Express
- Flying Ranee
- Guntur - Kacheguda Double Decker Express
- Habibganj Indore Junction AC Double Decker Express
- Howrah – Dhanbad Double Decker Express
- Jaipur Delhi Sarai Rohilla AC Double Decker Express
- Lucknow - Anand Vihar Double Decker Express
- Kacheguda - Tirupati Double Decker Express