New Travel Concession Rule for Patients from 15.06.2016Updated : 14.06.2016
Konkan Railway announced that Railway decided to revise provisions for rail travel of patients of all category including Handicapped, paraplegic , orthopaedically etc. Till now, Orthopaedically Handicapped, Paraplegic Persons / Patients who were availing Rail Travel Concessions, if found travelling alone without an Escort, which was mandatory, were treated as travelling without ticket and were being charged with penalty as per the applicable rules issued from Ministry of Railways.
|Rail Travel Concession|
However, this condition has now been relaxed / revised w.e.f. 15.06.2016. It has now been permitted to Orthopaedically Handicapped, Paraplegic Persons / Patients availing Rail Travel Concessions to travel even without Escort, if they can, and they will not be treated as travelling without ticket and no penalty will be levied to them.
These revised provisions are applicable w.e.f. 15.06.2016 to esteemed Orthopaedically Handicapped, Paraplegic Persons / Patients with all other rail travel concession facility accordingly.
General Rules for concession
- Concession is admissible on basic Mail /Express/Rajdhani/ Shatabdi/etc fares only and not on ‘Ordinary’ fares applicable to Passenger trains, super fast surcharge, reservation fee and safety surcharge and service tax etc.
- All types of concession can be availed only when tickets are purchased across the counter at Stations and Reservation/Booking offices. No one is granted concession on the train
- Availing two different types of concession by the same person for the same journey is not permissible
- The concession ticket cannot be changed to a higher class even if you are willing to pay the difference in fare.
- In certain cases where concession is admissible in First Class but not in AC 2-tier, concession tickets for AC 2-tier can be purchased on payment of concession fare for first class plus the difference of actual fare of First class and AC 2-tier.
- Concession is not admissible for a journey where the cost of travel is borne by Central/State Government/Local Bodies/Corporation or Govt. Undertakings, Universities etc.
- Some of the concession are admissible subject to the minimum distance of journey which have been specified in the relevant categories.
- It may be note that the general and broad information about availability of concession has been provided in the following pages, and is only indicative. This is not a substitute for the concerned Tariff books on Railway Concessions which contain detailed information,procedure,conditions, prescribed formats and certificates needed for availing such concession.
Orthodaedically Handicapped/ Paraplegic persons travel for any purpose.
Percentage of concession are following -
- 75% in Second, Sleeper, First Class, AC-3 tier, AC Chair Car.
- 50% in First AC and AC-2 tier.
- 25% in AC-3 tier and AC Chair Car of Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains.
- 50% in First and Second class Monthly season ticket and Quarterly season ticket.
- One escort is also eligible for same element of concession
Updated : 22.04.2010
100% CONCESSION TO CANCER PATIENTS IN AC 3-TIER and SLEEPER CLASS
Southern Railways today announced that, on behalf of the Honourable Union Minister of Railways in the Budget Speech for 2010-11, with immediate effect, 100% concession in Sleeper Class/ AC 3-tier is admissible to Cancer patients for going for and returning from recognized hospitals for treatment and periodical check up. However, the element of concession to their escort in AC 3-tier & Sleeper Class will remain unchanged, i.e., 75%. The 100% concession to the cancer patient is admissible only in the basic fares of Mail/Express trains and all other charges will be realised in full.
The element of concession for cancer patients & their escort in other classes, i.e., Second/First Class/AC Chair Car remains unchanged at 75% and for AC 2-tier/First AC, the concession remains unchanged at 50%.